Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by kiffer <ch...@kiffer.ltd.uk> on 2014/07/20 20:14:57 UTC

feature:install is crazily slow

I experimented with making our application into a feature which would be
auto-installed at karaf start-up time:

* put all our bundles and their dependencies in a directory on the local
filesystem

* created a feature XML file which declares a dependency on wab, scr, and
those bundles (using relative file: URLs), also on the local filesystem

 * added the XML file to featuresRepositories and the feature name to
featuresBoot in etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg.

It works, but loading a couple of dozen bundles this way takes about TWELVE
MINUTES, both when launching Karaf or when executing feature:uninstall -
repo-refresh - install. During this time it is not possible to log in using
bin/client, while 'top' shows karaf as using less than 1% cpu.

1. This has to be a bug, right? Loading in the same bundles from /deploy
takes almost no time.

2. Will it go any faster if I package the app as a KAR instead?

I did see that a similar issue was raised a while back, but seems to have
received no reply.

Re: feature:install is crazily slow

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Chris,

yes, just taking the etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg as in Karaf
3.0.2-SNAPSHOT should work.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: feature:install is crazily slow

Posted by ch...@kiffer.ltd.uk.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

with which version ? FYI, we fixed an issue in the
etc/org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.cfg file (especially around the order of the
repositories definition): previously, Karaf tried to resolve all
artifacts on the repositories first before checking the system folder.

It's fixed in the coming 3.0.2.

Can you make a try with 3.0.2-SNAPSHOT ?

Regards
JB

On 07/20/2014 08:14 PM, kiffer wrote:
> I experimented with making our application into a feature which would be
> auto-installed at karaf start-up time:
>
> * put all our bundles and their dependencies in a directory on the local
> filesystem
>
> * created a feature XML file which declares a dependency on wab, scr, and
> those bundles (using relative file: URLs), also on the local filesystem
>
>   * added the XML file to featuresRepositories and the feature name to
> featuresBoot in etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg.
>
> It works, but loading a couple of dozen bundles this way takes about TWELVE
> MINUTES, both when launching Karaf or when executing feature:uninstall -
> repo-refresh - install. During this time it is not possible to log in using
> bin/client, while 'top' shows karaf as using less than 1% cpu.
>
> 1. This has to be a bug, right? Loading in the same bundles from /deploy
> takes almost no time.
>
> 2. Will it go any faster if I package the app as a KAR instead?
>
> I did see that a similar issue was raised a while back, but seems to have
> received no reply.

Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net