Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Lagerloef Kris-P54513 <Kr...@motorola.com> on 2004/10/15 19:46:32 UTC

Failure of wildcard search in the middle of a term

I am using Lucene 1.4.1, I have indexed a PDF document.

   <http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/finance/Striking_A_Balance_Web.pdf> http://www.calgary.ca/docgallery/bu/finance/Striking_A_Balance_Web.pdf

In the document there is the word Calgarians.

A search of Calgarians finds the document.

A search of Calgar* finds the document.

A search of Cal*s finds nothing.

Using a standard query parser and an AliasAnalyzer , I know I have used the wildcard in the middle of a search string before and it returned documents. Is anyone else having this issue? or does anyone have an idea of the cause?  No errors are occurring just no results are being returned.

Re: Failure of wildcard search in the middle of a term

Posted by Daniel Naber <da...@t-online.de>.
On Friday 15 October 2004 19:46, Lagerloef Kris-P54513 wrote:

> A search of Cal*s finds nothing.

Try searching cal*s, the analyzer probably indexed the word in lowercase,
but the QueryParser by default doesn't do that for WildcardTerms. See
QueryParser.setLowercaseWildcardTerms().

Regards
 Daniel

--
http://www.danielnaber.de

Re: Failure of wildcard search in the middle of a term

Posted by René Hackl <re...@gmx.de>.
Does your analyzer employ stemming? Maybe the ending gets ripped off and the
word is indexed as 'calgarian' or even 'calgar'.

Did you write the Analyzer yourself? I can't find it in any package to see
whether it does stem tokens...

Best Regards,
René

GMX ProMail mit bestem Virenschutz http://www.gmx.net/de/go/mail