Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Christopher <ct...@apache.org> on 2020/08/05 14:57:39 UTC

CI testing updates (GitHub Actions > Travis)

So, I recently noticed that Travis CI is changing.

It looks like travis-ci.org is being phased out, as it no longer shows
my organizations or builds repos within organizations (such as the
'apache' org). I believe this is an attempt to consolidate their
service with travis-ci.com. However, I'm not willing to authorize
travis-ci.com in order to view builds there, because the site asks for
too broad of permissions from GitHub (specifically, it asks for access
to private repos, and write access to everything). I get that these
permissions are supposed to empower specific optional features, but I
don't like granting so many permissions *until* I need them. So,
Travis is no longer usable for me as it once was.

Additionally, I have been experimenting with CI builds using GitHub's
own built-in "Actions" feature. I have created several workflows in
other non-Apache projects I work on, such as the one at
https://github.com/revelc/impsort-maven-plugin/blob/main/.github/workflows/maven.yaml
and have observed numerous benefits over Travis.

It is my intention to migrate us to using GitHub Actions in place of Travis.
https://github.com/apache/accumulo/issues/1671

Re: CI testing updates (GitHub Actions > Travis)

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
No, I didn't try to check into the issues with Travis at all... GitHub
Actions seems better overall anyway, so it didn't seem worth pursuing
the issues with Travis.

I've migrated the accumulo repository to use GitHub Actions, and will
work on migrating the other repos over time.

Posted by Mike Miller <mm...@apache.org>.