Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com> on 2013/10/19 19:20:41 UTC

easy task

Hello,

Does exist some list of easy tasks that some potential developer for AOO
can see? Idea is that this sort of  list MUST exist, if we want to see here
new developers...

Regards,
Wlada

Re: easy task

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 19 October 2013 20:28, akshika akalanka <ak...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Good idea :-)
>  On Oct 19, 2013 10:53 PM, "Vladislav Stevanovic" <
> stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Does exist some list of easy tasks that some potential developer for AOO
> > can see? Idea is that this sort of  list MUST exist, if we want to see
> here
> > new developers...

We have bugzilla, where you can see all open issues. But apart from that, I
think its easier to connect with one of us developers.

What language do you want to program in ? at what skill level ?

I f.x. work on a new translation workflow, and can use a hand getting it
finished and tested.

I also work at slowly improving the build system, makefiles etc, and there
we need a lot more than just a hand.

rgds
jan I.

Re: easy task

Posted by akshika akalanka <ak...@gmail.com>.
Good idea :-)

Re: easy task

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>It seems it's a bit hidden
>
> It is a bit hidden, indeed! And my impression of  this page is distant,
> cold tone. No emotions, no pictures to show where is problem, there is no
> directly approach to the potential developers.  Also, I can not see list of
> features what we want to see in AOO in near future, or maybe this list
> existed on other place. These features we can split on "easy task",
> "moderate" and "heavy task". Maybe

We've used our blog, social media, conference presentations, etc., to
reach out for volunteers, including developers.  For example, this is
a blog post we did a while ago:

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/call_for_development_volunteers

As you can see, it refers the reader to the website for more
information.  When we see a new person on the mailing list we point
them to these orientation pages as well.

Feature ideas change quickly, so we don't put those on the website.
But they show up in two other places:

1) Issues in Bugzilla with the assigned to field set to a person.

2) On the CWiki we have a page to collect ideas for releases and to
track the release plan.  You can see the 4.1 page here:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+4.1+Release+Planning

> We must improved this. If this is not a problem, I have a  good will to try
> something in that area with some ideas. Is it OK?

Any of these things can be improved, certainly.

Regards,

-Rob

Re: easy task

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 4:09 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic <
stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:

> It can be better, with maybe better texts, but main idea is to put
> something what we can named as "Master page" for developer area. Purpose of
> this page is to give the most important links on one place, to save time
> and keep visitors patience, to ensure easier way to reach information.
> So, everyone are invited to give comments and proposals how to improve this
> page.
>
> Regards,
> Wlada

It's very eye catching and easy to find areas of interest. Thanks for this
idea!

> 2013/10/23 Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>
>
> > On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic
> > <st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ok, I made some rough version. The file (see attachment) shows how will
> > > looks like web page after you click "Develop" (on top level menu on AOO
> > > website).
> > > So, when you open this file, press F5 (also you can using links on
> second
> > > slide (blue colored words)).
> > >

> > I like this design a lot.
> >
> > -Rob
> >
> > > Regards,
> > > Wlada

> > got

> https://issues.apache.org/ooo/query.cgi?format=report-table

> > us a
> > efficient

> there
> see
> task",
> > will

> developer
> want

> > http://openoffice.apache.org/**orientation/intro-development.**html<

> predefined

> dev-help@openoffice.apache.org

MzK

"There's so much boldness in living life this way ...
 we did it all, and no one can take it away from us."
                            -- Diana Nyad

Re: easy task

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Vladislav Stevanovic <
stevanovicvladislav@gmail.com> wrote:

> >maybe I will try to do a mockup of your idea in the next few days.
>
> Be my guest :)
>
> I will be happy if you sent me your version, or link, to see how it looks
> like, for further suggestions.
>
> >Good luck with your PHP programming class. :)
> Thanks!
>
> Regards,
> Wlada

Unlikely I'll get to this any time soon. It's added to the Help Wanted page
on cwiki as an "Easy" task. :)

Re: easy task

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: easy task

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: easy task

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: easy task

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Re: easy task

Posted by Vladislav Stevanovic <st...@gmail.com>.

Re: easy task

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
<st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I made some rough version. The file (see attachment) shows how will
> looks like web page after you click "Develop" (on top level menu on AOO
> website).
> So, when you open this file, press F5 (also you can using links on second
> slide (blue colored words)).

I like this design a lot.

-Rob

Re: easy task