Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Doug Wilson <wi...@eastlink.ca> on 2016/04/27 17:12:20 UTC

OppenOffice converted all my files to another format

Hello,

I have just spent the last 20 minutes navigating your help and contact pages and can make no sense of them, so I am contacting you directly in hopes of finding 1. an explanation, and 2. a solution to the following:

Recently I downloaded your free open office software so I could view client files I received by email. It works great.

The problem is that all my original MSWORD template documents have been converted to the .rtf open office format. WORD no longer opens any of them. I certainly did not do this, noir would I have granted open oiffice permission to do so.

So what’s going on? I want my files returned.

Thank you.

Doug Wilson
www.amethystboutique.com
https://www.facebook.com/AmethystBoutique.NS

---

RE: OppenOffice converted all my files to another format

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Also, OpenOffice does not touch existing files in any manner.  There is no automatic conversion of files.  Also, .rtf is a Microsoft-specified format.

It sounds as if the File Associations (tying files of a given type to applications) have been disturbed, if you are on Windows.

Try Robert's suggestion.

Also, be sure to download Apache OpenOffice via this web page:
<http://www.openoffice.org/download/>.

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.
Doug -