Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Wells Tiedeman <JW...@youcentric.com> on 2001/07/17 14:46:44 UTC

RE: ServletException in 4.0b5

I experienced the same problem.  It's due to a class loader issue.  Multiple
class loaders have been introduced in V4.0 to implement the requirements
found in Section 9.6.2 of the Servlet 2.3 Spec.  These class loaders are
used to load all of the jars and classes rather than using the CLASSPATH.

I was able to resolve this problem as follows :

-  Add all supporting jars for your web application (except J2EE jars) to
the /WEB-INF/lib directory rather than including them in the CLASSPATH
-  Add all of the required classes for your web application to the
/WEB-INF/classes directory rather than including them in the CLASSPATH
-  Add the j2ee.jar from the /j2sdkee1.3/lib directory to the
TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib directory.  All J2EE platform classes must be placed
in the common/lib or common/classes directories rather than with the web
application.

-Wells

Wells Tiedeman
YOUcentric, Inc.
P: 704.401.1109
F: 704.401.1240
jwtiedeman@youcentric.com <ma...@youcentric.com>

For more information on YOUcentric, please visit our web site at
www.youcentric.com <http://www.youcentric.com>