Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/04 21:40:48 UTC

[graphics] New version of masthead

Guys,

Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.

http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html

I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)

WDYT?

Bye, Helma

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Mark Lundquist <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 5, 2007, at 6:34 AM, hepabolu wrote:

> Please note that "shrinking" the masthead will also take the "air" out
> of the design and I suspect that it will give a cluttered and crammed
> look.

I agree.  -1 on shrinking the masthead.

—ml—

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Reinhard Poetz said the following on 5/2/07 11:17:
> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> But it takes a little bit to much screen real estate IMHO. It is a
>> little bit higher than our current look and nearly twice as high as
>> the masthead and top menu for Spring framework. Would it be possible
>> to rescale it so that it takes a little bit less space?
>
> could be worth a try

I wouldn't compare it to different websites. This is OUR website and we
should agree on it, no matter what size. I now miss the "search" box
that could be in the header as well.

Please note that "shrinking" the masthead will also take the "air" out
of the design and I suspect that it will give a cluttered and crammed look.

And don't forget you guys voted for the "blocks", so you have to live
with it. ;-)

>> Also the "getting ..." boxes dominates the page a little bit to much
>> for my taste (at least on my screen), they look quite heavy compared
>> to the blue fade out in the mast head. Would it be possible to make
>> them less visually heavy?
>
> I like these boxes as they are. IMO they should be the eye catcher
> number one of the homepage. I wouldn't change them.

I fully agree. This is our home page and the eye catcher. Other pages
will not have these green blocks, so don't worry.

I resized the page to 1024 x 768 and it still works well and leaves
plenty of space for the content.
I assume that the majority of (potential) users will be developers that
will have screens at that resolution or better. So I'm all for a minimal
"best" resolution of 1024 x 768 and improved aesthetics.

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Daniel Fagerstrom <da...@nada.kth.se>.
hepabolu skrev:
> Guys,
>
> Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
> masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html
>

> I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)
>
> WDYT?
>
> Bye, Helma
It looks great!

But it takes a little bit to much screen real estate IMHO. It is a
little bit higher than our current look and nearly twice as high as the
masthead and top menu for Spring framework. Would it be possible to
rescale it so that it takes a little bit less space? Also the "getting
..." boxes dominates the page a little bit to much for my taste (at
least on my screen), they look quite heavy compared to the blue fade out
in the mast head. Would it be possible to make them less visually heavy?

/Daniel

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Ralph Goers said the following on 4/2/07 22:51:
> Wow!

:-) Very up-to-date and hip reaction.

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Wow!

Posted by Andreas Hochsteger <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/2/4, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>:
> Guys,
>
> Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
> masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html
>
> I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)
>
> WDYT?

Wow, amazing - I really like it!
Great work, Thien!

--
Andreas

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Thien wrote:

>> Couple of small issues to fix, please see the screen shot [1].
>>
>>   * "The Apache Cocoon Project" is impossible to read on the
>>     'blocks' background.
>>   * "Getting Involved" is overlapping with  "Getting Started".
>
> Yeah, I will make the project title clearer.
> The "Getting..." blocks should be in one row, there were some mistakes
> in my css, so the "Getting Involved" box will drop if you view the page
> on screen lower than 1024, but that will be fixed. Thanks.

Great.

> If this is okay, where should I send the final html+images to?

Send to Helma as usual :)

Vadim

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Thien <th...@gmail.com>.
> Couple of small issues to fix, please see the screen shot [1].
>
>   * "The Apache Cocoon Project" is impossible to read on the
>     'blocks' background.
>   * "Getting Involved" is overlapping with  "Getting Started".

Yeah, I will make the project title clearer.
The "Getting..." blocks should be in one row, there were some mistakes
in my css, so the "Getting Involved" box will drop if you view the page
on screen lower than 1024, but that will be fixed. Thanks.

If this is okay, where should I send the final html+images to?

Thien

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
> masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html
>
> I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)

Couple of small issues to fix, please see the screen shot [1].

   * "The Apache Cocoon Project" is impossible to read on the
     'blocks' background.
   * "Getting Involved" is overlapping with  "Getting Started".

Looks fine with the exception of these two nits.

Vadim

[1] http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/temp/screenshot.png

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
> masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html
>

> I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)
>
> WDYT?

Wow! Very nice!

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
> masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html
>

> I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)
>
> WDYT?

wow, I love it!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On 2/4/07, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html...

I like it too, congratulations!

-Bertrand

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Monday 05 February 2007 04:40, hepabolu wrote:
> I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)

Perhaps I am even more biased... but I like it as well.

Cheers
Niclas

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Jorg Heymans <jh...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:

> Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
> masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html

mighty superb, well done !!

Jorg

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
hepabolu escribió:
> Guys,
>
> Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
> masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html
>

> I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)
+1 :)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Giacomo Pati <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Mark Lundquist <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 6, 2007, at 8:22 AM, hepabolu wrote:

> I agree that asking for more opinions will only give you more
> _different_ opinions. I'd say the discussion about the new website
> design is a "privilege" of the committers.

Well maybe I can get a special dispensation, because IIRC this masthead
revision was at my instigation... :-)

I think it looks pretty good.  Notes:

1) This latest version of the layout is robust w.r.t. window resizes
(an improvement on the first one where the green boxes were floated).
The new page does pretty well with the "text scale-up test"... no
blowouts except in the green box content (at least, in Safari and
Mozilla where I've tested).  Don't know if you want to fix that or
not...?

2) Would that "page corner fold" graphic be a link to more info?  Seems
like that's usually what it means...

3) W.r.t. the masthead itself... I meant to comment on this before, but
never got to it until now so I understand if it's too late to do
anything about it.  Anyway, seeing it now in the context of a full web
page strengthens my feeling about this design that the color palette is
a little bit bland and boring.  How about this... Thien, if you were to
just take 3-4 of the "blocks" near the bottom-right corner of the
"block field" — where that one block is sort of breaking away from the
rest — and give them new colors outside of the blue shade scale used
for the other blocks (I'm thinking purple, orange, bright green?)
— that would break up the "mum's kitchen tile" effect and liven up the
color scheme.  How hard would that be to try?  Just a suggestion from
one of the sheep farmers :-)

cheers,
—ml—

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Peter Hunsberger said the following on 6/2/07 16:07:

> involved in web site design I do think we need to go through a limited
> critiquing process and that the development community is as good of
> source of opinions as any.

+1 We need to agree on something that we all like, more or less. If you
visit any project's website you get the end result whether you like it
or not. In this case we have a choice, so we might get consensus.

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 2/5/07, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 00:22, Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>
> > Very nice.  I'm with the camp that would like to see it shrink a
> > little, not much but just a little.  Also, I still find it a little on
> > the pastel side, I'd like to see a version with bolder colors.
>
> And I realize that asking developers for opinion on style and good taste is
> like asking sheep farmers to comment on Versace's latest designs; They are in
> the supply chain, but hardly the target audience... ;o)

I wouldn't assume that; most of us have been working with the Cocoon
web site for a long time now and there's a lot of talent in the
development group.

Personally, I grew up in a family of artists that also ran an art
gallery so I realise that everyones opinions on any given piece of
artistic content are going to vary widely. However, having been
involved in web site design since it first became possible to be

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> But before contininuing with further discusions we should clarify how
> we come to a final decision?
> My proposal: Everybody can share his thoughts/ideas about the design
> but the final decision is made by Thien and Helma.
> Is this okay for everybody?
+1

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Thien <th...@gmail.com>.
Hi everyone,
> But before contininuing with further discusions we should clarify how
> we come to a final decision?
> My proposal: Everybody can share his thoughts/ideas about the design
> but the final decision is made by Thien and Helma.
> Is this okay for everybody?
I have sent Helma a (what I think) better solution for this, let's see
if it's ok after the files were uploaded. Thanks.

Thien

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 00:22, Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>
>> Very nice.  I'm with the camp that would like to see it shrink a
>> little, not much but just a little.  Also, I still find it a little on
>> the pastel side, I'd like to see a version with bolder colors.
>
> And I realize that asking developers for opinion on style and good taste is
> like asking sheep farmers to comment on Versace's latest designs; They are in
> the supply chain, but hardly the target audience... ;o)

LOL

> Perhaps widening the audience to the user's lists is a good move.

Fine for me.

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Sylvain Wallez said the following on 6/2/07 08:49:
> Mooooo :-)

Don't confuse your cows and your sheep. ;-)

> Collecting opinions is good, but we also need to define the decision
> process to avoid endless discussions and frustration in the end for
> those that may have the feeling the decision was imposed on them.

+1

> Having Thien and Helma making the final choice is fine if everybody
> knows it in advance.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm working with Thien now to fix
some details.

Bye, Helma

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead - update

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
hepabolu wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Thien did it again:
>
> - he changed the masthead, making it a bit smaller and darker.
> - he also added a search box and changed the color of "apache cocoon" to
> be more prominent.
> - he removed some tiles to make things look better at 800x600.
> - the green blocks are now moved also to make things look better at
> 800x600.
> - the green blocks are also a bit darker.
>
> - he added nice icons to the content.
>
> In short, I'm very happy with this result.

My overall impression: I like it!

Let me offer two remarks:

- I think the page is a bit overloaded. I would like to see more white space,
especially before <h1> headlines (~15px) and at the left margin of the green
boxes (~30px).

- I'm not really happy with the red border of the note paragraph, though I don't
have a better alternative.

Thanks Thien!

                                        web(log): http://www.poetz.cc

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead - update

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 2/6/07, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> OOPS now the link: http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final2.html
>
> Bye, Helma
>

> On 2/6/07, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > Thien did it again:
> >
> > - he changed the masthead, making it a bit smaller and darker.
> > - he also added a search box and changed the color of "apache cocoon" to
> > be more prominent.
> > - he removed some tiles to make things look better at 800x600.
> > - the green blocks are now moved also to make things look better at 800x600.
> > - the green blocks are also a bit darker.
> >
> > - he added nice icons to the content.
> >
> > In short, I'm very happy with this result.

I'm probably going to get dumped on for saying this, but I'd like to
see the Cocoon logo on the left moved down about 2mm or so and maybe
moved to the right about the same amount.  This is so that it looks a
little more balanced within the blocks and so that the blocks behind
it are more clearly detached from the logo.  This might not work, it
could unbalance the rest of the design, but I'd sort of like to see
what happens...

However, I would certainly be very happy to see this as the final
version, it's very good (once more).

--
Peter Hunsberger

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead - update

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
hepabolu wrote:
> OOPS now the link: http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final2.html

I'm impressed - it works!

   http://people.apache.org/~vgritsenko/temp/screenshot98.png

:-P

Vadim

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.

--
Bye, hepabolu

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead - update

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.
Vadim Gritsenko said the following on 7/2/07 16:11:
> hepabolu wrote:
>>> Awesome! Looks good ... but ... is that a page curl beside "What is
>>> Apache Cocoon" ? *shudder*
>>
>> I suppose it is. I think it's very well done, no tackiness about it.
>> What makes you shudder?
>
> I'm not crazy about this page curl as well... Would it perhaps be better
> to move both "What is Apache Cocoon?" and next one to the separate
> "About" page?

The page curl: I'll leave that to Thien.

The content of the box: I think you need to have it there, maybe not in
full but as a first time visitor I want to know what I'm looking at and
if it's on the front page, I get my questions solved in seconds which
gives me a good impression of the project.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.

Posted by hepabolu <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Savory <an...@luminas.co.uk>.
Hi,

On 6 Feb 2007, at 14:24, hepabolu wrote:

> Thien did it again:

Awesome! Looks good ... but ... is that a page curl beside "What is
Apache Cocoon" ? *shudder*

Also, how would it look with Cocoon 2.1 somewhere in the top menubar
too?

Excellent work, though!

Thanks,

Andrew.
Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Sourcesense: http://www.sourcesense.com/

Re: [graphics] New version of masthead - update

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Peter Hunsberger <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 2/4/07, hepabolu <he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Thien did it again. He created a great new version of the "blocks"
> masthead and redesigned the rest of the homepage.
>
> http://people.apache.org/~hepabolu/final.html
>

> I don't want to bias you, but I like it a lot. ;-)
>
> WDYT?

Very nice.  I'm with the camp that would like to see it shrink a
little, not much but just a little.  Also, I still find it a little on
the pastel side, I'd like to see a version with bolder colors.
However, I can certainly live with it as it is, it's really very good.

--
Peter Hunsberger