Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org> on 2005/06/10 18:55:30 UTC

Apache Booth At JavaOne

All,

The ASF will have a booth at JavaOne this year.  We will be staffing
the booth with projects, each project there for 2 hours or so to tell
people about the project and the ASF in general.

If anyone would like to volunteer to help out, add your name here :

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/ApacheAtJavaOne2005

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne

Posted by Dmitry Serebrennikov <dm...@earthlink.net>.
Greetings,

Has the time been selected? I'm sorry if I missed it. Could someone
please repost it?
If not, how about Monday or Thursday (both days after 5 pm would work
for me).
By the way, there is another conference concurrently at San Francisco -
Oreilly's Where 2.0, which is about location-enabled technologies (gps,
google maps, mobiles, etc). They have a component, which is open to the
public. It's the Where Fair, on Wednesday 29th from 7:30pm to 10:00pm. I
don't think you have to register or anything - this part is open to the
public.
Here's the URL and some info:

=======================================
General Conference Info
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/where/
Location-aware technologies combined with mapping and other data are
poised to create a whole new class of web apps and services. Maps are
becoming an interface, helping us to visualize and access a variety of
data. Location is fertile ground for hackers and researchers who mash up
Google Maps with Craigslist or plug restaurant info into dashboard
navigation. Call centers, insurance agencies, transportation companies,
and retailers are finding unconventional internal uses for location
technologies too.

But where is location-based technology leading us in the larger sense?
And where's the business model beef? The first Where 2.0 Conference
brings together the people
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/39/speakers.html>, projects
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2005/view/e_sess/7098>, and
issues <http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/39/program.html> leading
the charge into this technological frontier. Join us to debate and
discuss what's viable now, and what's lurking just below the radar.

===============================
The Where Fair
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/where2005/view/e_sess/7098
The Where Fair is a science fair-style event that gives participants a
first-hand look at just a few of the intriguing location-aware
technologies lurking just below the radar. Fair-goers can discuss the
ideas behind the demos with the creators, and learn how these
unconventional new technologies can be adapted into existing business
strategies. Where Fair projects are being selected from research,
academia, and yet-to-be-discovered entrepreneurs. The Where Fair
complements the conference's exhibit hall, which will showcase
state-of-the-art systems, apps, and services in the location space.

Cheers
Dmitry

Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne

Posted by Tom <ec...@gatewide.com>.

Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.

Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne

Posted by Joel Neely <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ac...@apache.org.

> No - we're not.  It was a donation of Gluecode's booth by IBM.

Cool...thanks!

>> Therefore, it might not be polite to pee in our host's sanka humm?
>

>  From what I gather, Sun has no problem with the ASF having a booth  at
> the show.  (This is an ASF booth, not a Harmony booth...)
>
> The ASF has played and will continue to play a big role in Java  through
> it's open source projects, both those that are JSR compliant,  and those
> that do non-JSR things.
>
> geir

Sorry I didn't mean it that way if it came off that way.  Just saying
that JavaOne isn't the place to be critical of Sun (speaking from
experience).  Informing about cool Apache stuff incuding Harmony is good.

-Andy
--
Andrew C. Oliver
SuperLink Software, Inc.

Java to Excel using POI

Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jun 12, 2005, at 6:18 PM, acoliver@apache.org wrote:

> I suspect that Apache is not paying for the booth.

No - we're not.  It was a donation of Gluecode's booth by IBM.

> Therefore, it might not be polite to pee in our host's sanka humm?

 From what I gather, Sun has no problem with the ASF having a booth

Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>.
On Jun 13, 2005, at 10:21 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> acoliver@apache.org wrote:
>
>> I suspect that Apache is not paying for the booth.  Therefore, it
>> might
>> not be polite to pee in our host's sanka humm?
>>
>> Besides, waht good is it?  A much bigger accomplishment is seeing
>> lines
>> of code committed.  That would accomplish more frankly.
>>

> True.
>
> But having some floor peer pressure change Gosling's perception of
> 'people run to the hills' would help not hurt in that above process.

I think that having a session on Harmony would help people there at
JavaOne get a better understanding of who we are as a project, what
we want to do, and what the ASF is about.  If you can spend some
time, please sign up to help.

geir

geirm@apache.org

Re: Apache Booth At JavaOne