Posted to dev@crunch.apache.org by Christian Tzolov <tz...@apache.org> on 2013/03/26 17:19:05 UTC

Building Crunch with JDK 1.7

Hey,

Although Java7 is not officially supported in Hadoop I've tested it with
Crunch.

My environment is: Maven 3.0.3, Java 1.7.0_17, Mac OSX - 10.8.3 (x86_64),
 with java.source=1.6 and java.target=1.6 POM settings.

Building Crunch with both profiles (hadoop-1 and hadoop-2) shows the
following two issues:

1.  o.a.c.l.j.MapsideJoinIT.testMapsideJoin() fails because the
System.setProperty("java.io.tmpdir", "/tmp") does not work in this
environment.
The workaround is to set -Djava.io.tmpdir=/tmp on the command line.

2.  o.a.c.i.h.WordCountHBaseIT fails due to some internal HBase issue. Same
problem affects both hadoop-1/hbase-0.90.4 and
hadoop-2/hbase-0.94.1 profiles. Not sure if there is a workaround for this
problem. It might be related to HBASE-5261.

Has someone experimented with Crunch and Java7? any insides?

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Building Crunch with JDK 1.7

Posted by Josh Wills <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 2013-03-26, Josh Wills wrote:
> > Very cool that this is all that's broken. :)
> >
> > Re: the mapside join IT, I'm wondering if that should be set to a temp
> > directory using the TemporaryPaths stuff-- @Matthias, isn't that the
> right
> > thing to do?
>
> Eventually, yes, but I remember there was some issue with Mac OS and
> the distributed cache that required this particular hack. Maybe we
> need to add some special handling to avoid using Hadoop's distributed
> cache altogether when running in local mode.

Ah, you're right.

> > Re: HBase, my HBase friends are saying that there were test issues and
> that
> > they think things work in trunk. Not sure if anyone wants to volunteer to
> > brave trying that out. ;-)
>
> Yeah. Whoever takes this on has to either know HBase very well or must
> be completely insane :)

The funny thing is that those two statements are completely equivalent. ;-)

Posted by Matthias Friedrich <ma...@mafr.de>.

Posted by Josh Wills <jo...@gmail.com>.