Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robert Menschel <Ro...@Menschel.net> on 2005/04/12 02:18:58 UTC

Re[2]: BAYES...sitewide or per-user or not at all?

Hello Gerald,

Saturday, April 9, 2005, 5:10:02 PM, you wrote:

GVLI> I'm looking at what scores I'll be able to let my users modify directly. If
GVLI> they can drop the bayes scores some for individual users it might not be so
GVLI> bad. I'm trying really hard not to ostracize any specific groups of people
GVLI> though. Our userbase leans MUCH more heavily to the "non-porn-hound" type
GVLI> (families and businesses) so that's what has me concerned about site-wide
GVLI> or domain-wide bayes.

Is there a generic ISP or email system whose userbase leans much more
to the adult than to the general audience?  My email host's customer
base includes several of the former, but they're drowned out by the
more common type of customer, and they don't have problems with
system-wide bayes.

GVLI> sa-learn -- anyone have a way to stat() all the SPAM folders and run
GVLI> sa-learn only on those that have new messages added by customers? I could
GVLI> find them using 'find' by searching on the mod date but I'd have to have
GVLI> some way for sa-learn to know the username to run as.

The method I've used is to
a) see if the missed-spam folder or not-spam folder have any contents.
If not, skip to the next user.
b) Move the contents out of that folder to work folder.
c) learn from the work folder.
d) skip to the next user.

That way there's no old messages to worry about.

Make sure the users know to "copy" mails to the not-spam folder rather
than move them, if they want to keep the originals.

Bob Menschel