Posted to dev@openwebbeans.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2009/01/09 11:19:43 UTC

configureAnnotationDB threading scenarios

Hi!

Can you imagine any scenario where the WebBeansScanner.scan may be triggered by different threads at the same time?
So does configureAnnotationDB need to be thread safe?

It then may help to define a temporary AnnotationDB while parsing and assigning it to the class member only if finished successfully.

Btw: usually only constant members (constants, #defines in C, ...) should be written in capital letters, so maybe we should change ANNOTATION_DB to annotationDb?

LieGrue,
strub
“Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind!”
(Sir Terry Pratchett)

Re: configureAnnotationDB threading scenarios

Posted by Gurkan Erdogdu <gu...@yahoo.com>.
Hi;

Currently OpenWebBeans implementation runs as a plugin,i.o.w user has to configure its web.xml, ejb-jar.xml etc. to use its functionality in his application. In early draft specifications there are two ways to implement the specification, 1* As a *plug-in* module, like ours,  2* Integrated functionality of the Java EE 6.0 Servers. After a while specification has removed the plug-in capability and mandated to implement specification as a Java EE 6.0 integration.

I have sent email to the *Geronimo* folks this week that is related with integration of the WebBeans. Kevan said that there is no currently plan for this.

For example, JBoss 5.0 AS has an integrated functionality of the WebBeans so user has not to configure his application to use WebBeans capability. Server automatically handles all of the configuration by looking the some artifacts of the deployment. How deployment is handled by the container is explained in the WebBeans specification.

For OpenWebBeans, currently we scan the deployment archive using the OpenWebBeans specific Servlet Context Listener, with its method *contextInitialized*. Indeed every context listener uses its own *thread* to configure its deployment archieve, then not necessary to add thread safe code to the scanner. User who wants to use OpenWebBeans has to explicitly configure his application's *web.xml* artifact to supply the OpenWebBeans specific listener, filter, etc. But this mandatory requirements has to be removed in the next phases of the project.

To remove the constraints that the project currently holds will be solved by collaborating the Geronimo folks to integrate the WebBeans functionality.

This integration must be the high priority for us to resolve next.

What do you think guys about this integration? Maybe we create some SPI and discuss with Geronimo folks that how to implement this SPI witihin *Geronimo*...

/Gurkan