Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Gerald Bauer <gt...@gmail.com> on 2009/09/24 16:40:45 UTC

Please help

Hi all,

For the past few months I've been enthusiastically evangelizing about
Tapestry 5 and how great it is. We were supposed to use it in an upcoming
project however, today there was a serious objection from some of our team
members about the adoption of Tapestry in our company. These guys have
googled extensively about Tapestry and weren't impressed about what they
saw. They presented evidence that Tapestry has a bad track record on
backwards compatibility. They also mentioned that the fact that Tapestry is
a one man project it is too risky to adopt in our company. Also, they claim
Howard has said there wouldn't be any major release of Tapestry in the
future. This could lead to stagnation of innovation in Tapestry. They also
presented evidence from Howard's blog that he has divided attention. He's
doing Cappuccino, Clojure, Grails, etc. and seems to not have focus.

For all these and many other reasons I can't go into, they have decided we
drop the plan to use Tapestry. They have asked us to take a serious look at
Wicket and JSF. I really don't want to develop with JSF. I'm dissapointed.
Any tips from anyone that I could use to convince our team to still go for
Tapestry?

Thanks,

Gerald

Re: Please help

Posted by "Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo" <th...@gmail.com>.
Em Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:40:45 -0300, Gerald Bauer <gt...@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> Hi all,

Hi!

> They presented evidence that Tapestry has a bad track record on
> backwards compatibility.

The Tapestry team is committed to not make any more backwards-incompatible
versions. Tapestry 5's architecture provide us a lot of room to innovate,
extend and tweak how things are implemented without breaking compatibility.

> They also mentioned that the fact that Tapestry is a one man project it
> is too risky to adopt in our company.

Tapestry has many committers: http://tapestry.apache.org/committers.html.
Take a look at the commit logs at
http://www.nabble.com/Tapestry---Dev-f339.html and you can see that Howard
is not the only one commiting.

> Also, they claim Howard has said there wouldn't be any major release of
> Tapestry in the
> future. This could lead to stagnation of innovation in Tapestry.

He sais that no backward-incompatible release will be made, not that there
will be no major release of Tapestry in the future.

> They also presented evidence from Howard's blog that he has divided
> attention. He's
> doing Cappuccino, Clojure, Grails, etc. and seems to not have focus.

Howard talked about it recently:
http://www.nabble.com/Concerned-about-the-future-of-Tapestry-to25567732s302.html.

> For all these and many other reasons I can't go into,

Please post the other reasons.

> Any tips from anyone that I could use to convince our team to still go
> for Tapestry?

Implement a small proof-of-concept application using Tapestry 5, Wicket
and JSF then compare them about ease of learning, productivity,
reusability, AJAX support, time spent deveolping the application, time
needed to implement a new component, mailing list quality, etc. Show them
the article Sebastian Hennebrueder wrote about Tapestry as part of a Web
framework comparison:
http://www.laliluna.de/tapestry-webframework-evaluation-test.html

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://www.arsmachina.com.br/thiago

Re: Please help

Posted by Daniel Jue <te...@gmail.com>.
I agree, while the trolls on here tend to use a similar technique to
bring up moot points (especially things that were answered in the
previous few days), we should not jump to conclusions about someone
with a genuinely reluctant team.

Here is a tip: Have the developers who opposed the use of Tapestry
actually used Tapestry?  At all?  Even just building from the
archetype sample should give them a good feel as to whether they want
to spend a part of their life with it.  It's hard to quell the fears
of developers who themselves don't bother to dabble in new
technologies.  As others have pointed out in past threads, it's silly
for us (especially Howard) to put blinders on with regards to new
technologies.  It's much more efficient to incorporate / learn from
the ingenuity of others, rather than just rely on ourselves.

It's like saying "I don't want to eat at an Italian restaurant because
their new dishes don't taste great with their old dishes, and I heard
the lead chef was eating at a French restaurant the other day instead
of being locked in his kitchen making new recipes.  So we're gonna go
with Hot Pockets instead."

Re: Please help

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Please help