Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net> on 2005/09/19 22:45:30 UTC

10.1.2 Release status page

I put up a status page for the 10.1.2 release.    Check it out for
information on the release and also how you can participate and  win
*chocolate*!
    http://people.apache.org/~kmarsden/TenOneTwoRelease.html

Also look at the Outstanding issues and post if you have comments.
Andrew, a couple of items on the release

1) Our filter,  Derby open code bugs,  seems to be available only to
derby-developers, can we make it global or at least available to users
so folks can vote for bugs they want fixed?  Is there some way we can
get a direct link to the filter.  The requestids in the URL's seem to
expire after some time.

2) Can we make a snapshot release this week. (Maybe tomorrow if
tonight's run is clean)?  It would be good to make some of the fixes
available  for early testing.

 I'll post to derby-user and try to drum up more input from users once
these are available. Regarding votes on bugs,  DERBY-1 is the leader
right now with 2.

Thanks

Kathey

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM>.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>

>>Ole Solberg wrote:
>>

>>>I now put snapshots of our nightly builds used for regression testing on
>>>http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/snapshots/ .
>>

>>Hi, Ole,
>>
>>I think it's terrific for you to provide these. Just one caveat. After
>>attending Cliff Schmidt's session at ApacheCon on "Licensing: What Every
>>Apache Committer Should Know", I think we need to be careful about using
>>the Apache logo on websites outside Apache unless we have obtained
>>explicit permission from the ASF to do so. Cliff went to some trouble to
>>explain that while the ASL 2.0 license allows free redistribution of
>>software, the same does not hold for trademarks and logos. Usage of
>>those require explicit permission.
>

> Right, the logo's make the pages look like official ASF pages, but they
> are not. They are pages provided by Sun Microsystems (or is it Ole
> Solberg?).
>
> Which leads me to the statement on the pages that says:
>
> "Derby is intended to be the Java alternative to low-cost open source
> databases."
>
> I'm troubled by that, I don't see anything in the Derby charter that
> leads to that statement, and "Derby is intended" is strange, Derby is a
> lump of Java code, I don't think it has intentions. The first statement
> you have is fine "Derby is an open source, 100% Java SQL Database",
> that's factual and in line with the charter.

Cleaned up now...

--
Ole Solberg, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> I'll see if Cliff has made his presentation available anywhere

Cliff's presentation, ""Licensing: What Every Apache Committer Should
Know" is now available off this link:

http://wiki.apache.org/apachecon/Eu2005OnlineSessionSlides

cheers,

  -jean

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM>.
Jean T. Anderson wrote:
> Ole Solberg wrote:
>
>> I now put snapshots of our nightly builds used for regression testing on
>> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/snapshots/ .
>

> Hi, Ole,
>
> I think it's terrific for you to provide these. Just one caveat. After
> attending Cliff Schmidt's session at ApacheCon on "Licensing: What Every
> Apache Committer Should Know", I think we need to be careful about using
> the Apache logo on websites outside Apache unless we have obtained
> explicit permission from the ASF to do so. Cliff went to some trouble to
> explain that while the ASL 2.0 license allows free redistribution of
> software, the same does not hold for trademarks and logos. Usage of
> those require explicit permission.

Thanks a lot! I have now removed all references to the logos.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Ole Solberg wrote:

> I now put snapshots of our nightly builds used for regression testing on
> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/snapshots/ .
>
> There is a link to this page from
> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/Limited/index.html
> (Tested Revisions [Jar files]).
>
> For each build / snapshot(zipped jar files) there is a link to the test
> results for that build.

Great, could you replace the term 'snapshot' with nightly build. I think
'snapshot' at the ASF is somewhere between a nightly build and a release.

Also could you have some info on how the jars were built (I think
releases and snapshots need this also), e.g. which jdk & compiler, does
it include the optional J2ME and OSGi elements.

Dan.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Ole Solberg <Ol...@Sun.COM>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@bristowhill.com>.
David W. Van Couvering wrote:
> I was thinking of putting the nightly builds directory directly under
> the Derby web site area under people.apache.org, with a directory for
> eah build.  Isn't it automatically mirrored every six hours or so?

Currently stuff in /www/ on people.apache.org gets rsync'd hourly to the
apache web server that hosts db.apache.org. (This is different from the
mirrors system -- didn't want anyone to get confused.)

  -jean

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by "David W. Van Couvering" <Da...@Sun.COM>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

Sorry .... Not fourth, third .

> I think fourth version number should be increased when program was officialy released ,
> because rc-X is not yet program of the version officialy acknowledged .

I think third version number should be increased when program was officialy released ,
because rc-X is not yet program of the version officialy acknowledged .

Best regards.

/*

         Tomohito Nakayama
         tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
         tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
         tmnk@apache.org

         Naka

*/

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
TomohitoNakayama wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I may misunderstand the version number scheme ....
>
> The fourth digit of the first release for first version of specified
> third digit is not always "1" ?

Correct, it could be any value.

> If rc2 was failed and rc3 was passed in Dan's example , version number
> of released program is 10.1.2.2 ?

Could be, or could be a higher number. The sequence could go somthing
like (as an example)

10.1.2.0 - first 10.1.2 *sanpshot*
10.1.2.1 - second 10.1.2 *snapshot*
10.1.2.2 - rc1
10.1.2.3 - rc2
10.1.2.4 - rc3 and official release

Dan.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by TomohitoNakayama <to...@basil.ocn.ne.jp>.
Hello.

I may misunderstand the version number scheme ....

The fourth digit of the first release for first version of specified third digit is not always "1" ?
If rc2 was failed and rc3 was passed in Dan's example , version number of released program is 10.1.2.2 ?

I thought fourth digit of the first release forfirst version of specified third digit  is always "1"....

Best regards .

/*

         Tomohito Nakayama
         tomonaka@basil.ocn.ne.jp
         tomohito@rose.zero.ad.jp
         tmnk@apache.org

         Naka

*/
Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 20, 2005, at 8:18 PM, Daniel John Debrunner wrote:

> I would say that if the version of the 10.1 branch is 10.1.1.1 then a
> fix should result in the bug being marked as fixed in '10.1.1.1
> (unreleased version)'. Ie. correctly represent the version of when the
> bug was fixed.
>
> Once 10.1.2 is released (or maybe a release candidate) then any bugs
> fixed in 10.1 since the last release could *also* be marked fixed in
> '10.1.2 (released version)', not replace the fixin of 10.1.1.1. This
> additional fixin is to link the bugs with the release and helps the
> release notes generation.

My only problem with this is that eventually you will end up with
scores of unreleased versions in the bug tracking system. If we're
not ever planning on releasing that version, why bother having a
number for it at all? Why not just bump the version on the branch to
10.1.2.0 now and start marking all of the bugs fixed in 10.1.2.0,
since we've already agreed that that's the next version we're
actually going to officially release?

> Changing history of a bug tracking system is generally a thing to
> avoid.

So is clogging it up with meaningless values for the version numbers.

The bigger issue is that we don't really know what that fourth
position means. It doesn't seem to mean bugfix release, since it
appears we've agreed that's what the third value represents. If we're
not ever going to release a version that uses it in a meaningful way,
then what is it doing there?

At Cloudscape, we bumped the last version whenever a fix was
delivered to a customer, which was useful because if you delivered
five fixes in a week, all five could have different version numbers
with each new version representing the next fix. However, the Apache
process for releases - posting a candidate, testing, and then voting
- prevents the kind of turnaround on quick fixes that use to make
that last position meaningful.

Perhaps we should either amend the version policy or figure out a way
to make that last number mean something useful.

andrew

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.
Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> Hmm, this would be my fault. The version should have been bumped after
> each release and I neglected to do that immediately after the last
> release. Also, I merged the issues with 10.1.1.1 FixIns to 10.1.2.0.
> While that was a probably a good idea, in order to target more bugs at
> the 10.1.2.0, it looks like removing the 10.1.1.1 release from JIRA
> might have been a mistake as well, since we can't mark bugs as fixed
> in 10.1.1.1.
>
> I'll bump the branch to 10.1.1.1, in preparation for posting the
> snapshot, after which I'll bump it to 10.1.1.2. If we get to 10.1.2.0
> without posting another snapshot, we can merge anything with a
> 10.1.1.2 FixIn to 10.1.2.0.
>
> Sound good?

What do you mean by "merge" in this case?

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
On 9/20/05, Oyvind.Bakksjo@sun.com <Oy...@sun.com> wrote:

> I think the nightly build should be the build used in the testing
> reported at
> http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/index.html/
>
> That way, people can download and use a nightly build at their own risk,
> but they can also see what tests the build has passed/failed.

Sounds very good Oyvind.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Oy...@Sun.COM.
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Francois Orsini wrote:
>

>>Nightly builds should only be posted if regression tests have passed IMHO.
>

> I disagree, a nightly build is use at your own risk. Even if one test
> fails the jar may still work and allow anyone to test other areas.

I think the nightly build should be the build used in the testing
reported at http://www.multinet.no/~solberg/public/Apache/Derby/index.html/

That way, people can download and use a nightly build at their own risk,
but they can also see what tests the build has passed/failed.

--
Oyvind Bakksjo
Tel: x43419 / +47 73842119, Fax: +47 73842101

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@debrunners.com>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Francois Orsini <fr...@gmail.com>.
Nightly builds should only be posted if regression tests have passed IMHO.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Kathey Marsden <km...@sbcglobal.net>.

Re: 10.1.2 Release status page

Posted by Andrew McIntyre <mc...@gmail.com>.
On Sep 19, 2005, at 1:45 PM, Kathey Marsden wrote:

> 1) Our filter,  Derby open code bugs,  seems to be available only to
> derby-developers, can we make it global or at least available to users
> so folks can vote for bugs they want fixed?

It is now global. I don't think there's a way to link directly to the
filter. It looks like you'll have to point users to the Manage
Filters page:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ManageFilters.jspa

 From which they can click on the Derby open code bugs filter link.