Posted to taglibs-user@tomcat.apache.org by Jim Kennedy <ji...@gigaheads.com> on 2003/06/25 21:58:11 UTC

JSTL and isUserInRole

Has anyone tried this using pure JSTL or Struts.  No rt.

I need to do something like this in JSP's

<c:if test="${pageContext.request.userInRole('foo') == true}" >

</c:if>

The above does not work.  How can I do this?  isUserInRole(String) is the
method I need to call.  Or maybe there is another way around this.  I want
to be able to show content conditionally on the j2ee role.

Jim Kennedy
IT Consultant

Re: JSTL and isUserInRole

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.
Jim Kennedy wrote:
> Has anyone tried this using pure JSTL or Struts.  No rt.
>
> I need to do something like this in JSP's
>
> <c:if test="${pageContext.request.userInRole('foo') == true}" >

EL doesn't support method evaluation, so yeah that won't work.

You can just create a simple tag on your own to do this.  As part of our
company's core taglib we have.

<loki:inrole role="foo">

</loki:inrole>

So it only evaluates that if the user has that role.  You can then
extend it as you need.  Maybe the next release of the JSTL will add a
taglib that addresses security, but for right now, you're free to build
it however you want.

--
Serge Knystautas
President