Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com> on 2013/10/04 01:17:33 UTC

Event-in-a-Box

Hello, ComDev!!

Following up on Rich's email from a few weeks back regarding the "Event-in-a-Box", I wanted to share with you all, as an FYI, what I have produced so far.  The below list is my takeaway of what should be included in the actual physical box (as in, what I will ship out for your events!!).

Physical
Content List:
	* Standard giveaways
	* Apache BarCamp Banner
	* Pens
	* Thick felt pens of varying colors
	* Blue Tack
	* Masking tape
	* A2 or larger sheets (for schedule grid)
	* Blank A4 paper (for schedule grid)
	* Sticky labels ….is this different from post-its of various sizes????
	* Post-Its of various sizes
	* Name badges
	* Registration sheets (would need an example of what you want here!)
	* Rubbish bags
	* Power strips …..how many and what kind (6packs)????
	* Extension cords….how many and what length????
	* Highlighters
	* Emergencykit
	* wifi routers for local networking

Please keep in mind that this is an initial draft, and not a comprehensive and/or guaranteed list!! I welcome feedback from your past experiences from the events that you have coordinated!! Is there anything that I missed, or anything on the list above that was not needed??!!

The next stage of this I will be writing an informative "how-to" guide.

I welcome feedback based on your past experiences that you think will help others in the future with their events!!

Thank you so much!!!

~M

Re: Event-in-a-Box

Posted by Tim Williams <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello, ComDev!!
>
> Following up on Rich's email from a few weeks back regarding the "Event-in-a-Box", I wanted to share with you all, as an FYI, what I have produced so far.  The below list is my takeaway of what should be included in the actual physical box (as in, what I will ship out for your events!!).
>

> Physical
> Content List:
>         * Standard giveaways
>         * Apache BarCamp Banner
>         * Pens
>         * Thick felt pens of varying colors
>         * Blue Tack
>         * Masking tape
>         * A2 or larger sheets (for schedule grid)
>         * Blank A4 paper (for schedule grid)
>         * Sticky labels ….is this different from post-its of various sizes????
>         * Post-Its of various sizes
>         * Name badges
>         * Registration sheets (would need an example of what you want here!)
>         * Rubbish bags
>         * Power strips …..how many and what kind (6packs)????
>         * Extension cords….how many and what length????
>         * Highlighters
>         * Emergencykit
>         * wifi routers for local networking

Hi Melissa,
FWIW, I'd be happy with a mini-version of this - mainly:

o) Apache BarCamp Banner
o) Standard giveaways
o) ** Table skirt
o) ** Apache Backdrop
o) Name badges

Thanks,
--tim

Re: Event-in-a-Box

Posted by Melissa Warnkin <mi...@yahoo.com>.
These are all very good comments and important questions.  No, Jan, you have not overlooked that information! That will be part of the "How-To" guide when it's published.

Thanks again!!

~M

________________________________
Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: Event-in-a-Box

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.

Re: Event-in-a-Box

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.
Melissa, these lists look awesome. In particular I loved seeing support for
video/audio taping in the list.

On Wednesday, October 30, 2013 11:38:44 AM Ross Gardler wrote:
> I would suggest the larger minimalist list is better. My justification is
> that, while sourcing these items is not hard it does take time and
> coordination. The easier we make things for people the better. I
> am assuming that the cost of shipping the larger set of items, even if some
> are unused at the event, will be less than the cost of volunteer time
> consumed in sourcing the remaining items that are used.

+1

Two comments:

1) Some input for the HowTo document we might want to poach ideas from related
to the video/audio equipment could be the information on the Debian Video Team
Wiki - they are providing videos of DebConf but also of smaller events like
the Debian Dev room at FOSDEM: https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/Videoteam

I assume we have some standard place to post and collect these videos already?
At least a few years ago at the usual suspects wrt. video hosting you needed a
paid account to publish more than half an hour of video within a few days.

Re: Event-in-a-Box

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Thank you Melissa.

I would suggest the larger minimalist list is better. My justification is
that, while sourcing these items is not hard it does take time and
coordination. The easier we make things for people the better. I
am assuming that the cost of shipping the larger set of items, even if some
are unused at the event, will be less than the cost of volunteer time
consumed in sourcing the remaining items that are used.

Once we start looking at cost of shipping we might find that the list needs
to be trimmed a little. Or perhaps we will end up with three boxes for
people to choose from. For now lets proceed with the larger list.

Ross

Ross Gardler (@rgardler)
Senior Technology Evangelist
Microsoft Open Technologies, Inc.
A subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation

Re: Event-in-a-Box

Posted by Isabel Drost-Fromm <is...@apache.org>.
On Thursday, October 31, 2013 04:39:32 PM Ulrich Stärk wrote:
> One Box in the EU might be OK for several countries to avoid taxes and
> customs but for most countries this is not the case. So unless you increase
> the number to one box per country, you should plan how to deal with taxes
> and customs.

Uli, thanks for mentioning. You should also keep in mind to put the correct
labelling on the boxes so they are actually delivered to the receiver (I
remember ntc getting a letter from the customs office to pick up a package ...
of a bunch of stickers ...).

Isabel

Re: Event-in-a-Box

Re: Event-in-a-Box