Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Gino Marckx <gm...@reference.be> on 2001/04/24 11:47:06 UTC

Trying to get better appender performance.

Hi there,

We experienced that logging a lot slows down our application drastically.
Building web sites, we sometimes have to log tracing information to find the
cause of a problem.  But we also don't want the response times to go up in
such a way the web site is not usable anymore.
Now we are using the FileAppender.  But when looking at the code, I noticed
that the message is written to file in the same thread the message was
logged, locking the logging thread for the time the output takes.  The
solution would be that the appender would only put the log message on a
queue and write it to disk in a seperate thread.
I thought AsyncAppender does this.  But the performance measurements in the
javadoc documentation show that AsyncAppender is a lot slower than
FileAppender...

Can someone help me out on this?  Is there no way then, that a faster
appender can be written?

Regards,
Gino.

     """