Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Marcus Sundman <su...@iki.fi> on 2004/02/26 13:56:42 UTC

news symlinks

Hi,

Would it be possible to have symlinks like
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/news-latest.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/elsewhere-latest.html
that would point to the latest news?

So
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/news-latest.html
would currently point to
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/news-2004-1stHalf.html
and
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/elsewhere-latest.html
would currently point to
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/elsewhere-2004-1stHalf.html

- Marcus Sundman

Re: news symlinks

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>.
Marcus Sundman wrote:

>>>Would it be possible to have symlinks like
>>>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/news-latest.html
>>>http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/elsewhere-latest.html
>>>that would point to the latest news?
>>>

>>we'd then risk people losing long term urls. probably getting apache to
>>do temporary redirects from those urls would be ok, though. of course,
>>i'd be interested to know what other people think on this before
>>actually doing anything about it...
>>

>Well, now one can't bookmark the news pages because the URLs change every once
>in a while, so something should be done.
>
>Neither symlinks nor temporary redirects are very good solutions. I think
>people most often want to see the latest news, e.g. a list of all news items
>less than N days old. If all news are on pages categorized e.g. by month then
>N will keep changing all the time (N=0 exactly when the month changes). Thus
>almost no one would see news posted in the very end of the month.
>
>I think the best solution would be to have one page with news <N days old, and
>then have a completely separate news archive where news are categorized by
>month/year/whatever. The former could have news from both Jakarta and
>elsewhere on the same page, preventing people from having to check two URLs
>when reading news. The latter could have different categories for Jakarta
>news and other news.

Seems like you are describing MovableType. Why then simply not install
it? (and disable comments)

Vadim

Re: news symlinks

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:21:20 +0000
robert burrell donkin wrote:

> cool in the sense of
> a-useful-resource-that-jakartaens-might-feel-motivated-to-maintain.
> anyone else have any opinions on this?

Now, I am trying to gather news from various Apache world
and put them into http://www.terra-intl.com/tetsuya/ - Experimental
RSS 2.0 Index: http://www.terra-intl.com/tetsuya/index.xml
-- Now joining in planetapache -- This URL might be changed, maybe

Perhaps this style would be able to be easily maintained.
I admit it that once I suffered from
"putting-all-materials-into-apache.org-domain" disease.
Now I've recovered from such a severe illness, completely.

Diversity is the key to meet with success. I've learned this
from controversial but meaningful discussion @ community.
Sincerely,

Re: news symlinks

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 1 Mar 2004, at 12:15, Marcus Sundman wrote:

<snip>

>> maybe it'd be cool to have a complete latest-first index of all news
>> stories in the news index page. that way, not only would it be a
>> useful
>> resource but also it'd be a fixed page for people to book mark.
>
> Yes.
> (Well, it would be "cool" in the sense that it is "cool" that you can
> edit
> text in a text editor.)

i've added a complete index of all the news headlines to the news
status page (http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/index.html) together
with some other organizational improvements. i think that it's
interesting to see all the headlines together in one place. (and yes, i
think that it's cool but then again, i'm easily amused :)

those folks who've asked for a news page to bookmark should bookmark
this one.

- robert

Re: news symlinks

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 1 Mar 2004, at 12:15, Marcus Sundman wrote:

>>> I think the best solution would be to have one page with news <N days
>>> old, and
>>> then have a completely separate news archive where news are
>>> categorized by
>>> month/year/whatever. The former could have news from both Jakarta and
>>> elsewhere on the same page, preventing people from having to check
>>> two
>>> URLs
>>> when reading news. The latter could have different categories for
>>> Jakarta
>>> news and other news.
>>
>> that's probably true but it would require active maintenance to keep
>> it
>> up to date. so, probably some sort of consensus would be needed
>> amongst
>> those who'll be doing this extra work before going ahead.
>
> Huh? Surely the news items are entries in a database of some sort, or
> are you
> implying that someone actually modifies html files directly?!

the web site is almost all static. jakarta (and most of the apache
stuff) is generated using anakia from xml source by volunteers on their
own machines and then committed into CVS.

a major reason for this is that (until recently) the apache website ran
on a very low specification machine (infrastructure's httpd gurus could
even make a pig fly ;). we now have a better web server but running a
lot of dynamic content on it would probably be problematic. IIRC there
was talk (in infrastructure) about being able to loan some better
machines from sponsors on which jakarta (and the other ASF projects)
could run dynamic content but i'm no longer in the infrastructure loop
so now would be good time for better informed people to jump in...

Help me using url rewriting

Posted by RK <ra...@imisoft.com>.
Hi,
Iam writing an apache module which will build a URL based on the request.
the url can be an internal/external. then the module redirects user to new
url.
Here instead of redirecting the user to new url, i want to fetch the content
and display it to user.
Pl help me doing this using URL Rewrittter here.

> > I think the best solution would be to have one page with news <N days
> > old, and
> > then have a completely separate news archive where news are
> > categorized by
> > month/year/whatever. The former could have news from both Jakarta and
> > elsewhere on the same page, preventing people from having to check two
> > URLs
> > when reading news. The latter could have different categories for
> > Jakarta
> > news and other news.
>
> that's probably true but it would require active maintenance to keep it
> up to date. so, probably some sort of consensus would be needed amongst
> those who'll be doing this extra work before going ahead.

Huh? Surely the news items are entries in a database of some sort, or are
you
implying that someone actually modifies html files directly?! Having two
lists should only be a matter of having two different db queries, e.g.
All news from year 2003:
SELECT title, time, body FROM news WHERE time>='2003-01-01 00:00:00' AND
time<'2004-01-01 00:00:00'
All news from the last month:
SELECT title, time, body FROM news WHERE time='NOW() - INTERVAL 1 MONTH

Re: news symlinks

Posted by Marcus Sundman <su...@iki.fi>.

Re: news symlinks

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 27 Feb 2004, at 12:19, Marcus Sundman wrote:

>>> Would it be possible to have symlinks like
>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/news-latest.html
>>> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/news/elsewhere-latest.html
>>> that would point to the latest news?
>>
>> we'd then risk people losing long term urls. probably getting apache
>> do temporary redirects from those urls would be ok, though. of course,
>> i'd be interested to know what other people think on this before
>> actually doing anything about it...
>
> Well, now one can't bookmark the news pages because the URLs change
> every once
> in a while, so something should be done.

they only twice change twice a year but you're probably right about the
principle. it'd never occurred to me (or - it seems - to the other
folks who replied to the proposal thread) that people would want to
bookmark the news page (rather than the index).

i found out recently that some people subscribe to the commit list for
the site so they can keep up to date with the jakarta news. so maybe
it's more popular (and therefore important) than we released.

i'd love to have an RSS news feed for jakarta. (this is yet another
idea going on the growing list of
really-cool–things-to-do-using–james-once-i-find-time.) anyone fancy
volunteering to take this further?

> Neither symlinks nor temporary redirects are very good solutions. I
> think
> people most often want to see the latest news, e.g. a list of all news
> items
> less than N days old. If all news are on pages categorized e.g. by
> month then
> N will keep changing all the time (N=0 exactly when the month
> changes). Thus
> almost no one would see news posted in the very end of the month.
>
> I think the best solution would be to have one page with news <N days
> old, and
> then have a completely separate news archive where news are
> categorized by
> month/year/whatever. The former could have news from both Jakarta and
> elsewhere on the same page, preventing people from having to check two
> URLs
> when reading news. The latter could have different categories for
> Jakarta
> news and other news.

that's probably true but it would require active maintenance to keep it
up to date. so, probably some sort of consensus would be needed amongst
those who'll be doing this extra work before going ahead.

maybe it'd be cool to have a complete latest-first index of all news
stories in the news index page. that way, not only would it be a useful
resource but also it'd be a fixed page for people to book mark.

opinions?

- robert

Re: news symlinks

Posted by Marcus Sundman <su...@iki.fi>.

Re: news symlinks

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On 26 Feb 2004, at 19:42, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>> probably getting apache to do temporary redirects from those urls
>
> You do know that /www/jakarta.apache.org/.htaccess is in CVS, right?

i do now :)

thanks

- robert

RE: news symlinks

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> probably getting apache to do temporary redirects from those urls

You do know that /www/jakarta.apache.org/.htaccess is in CVS, right?

	--- Noel

Re: news symlinks

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.