Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Vasu Srinivasan <va...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/20 21:56:58 UTC

Making wicket work with Dynamically created html

I see this question has been posted before and searched around but I have
not seen any conclusive solution.

I am totally new to Wicket... We have a dynamic xml that contains UI and
data elements (text, radio, checkbox etc) which we need to convert to html
and then submit users selections etc. Basically a survey type of xml.

I understood that I have to use Panels, Repeaters and also implement
IMarkupResourceStreamProvider to provide my own html converted from xml via
xsl.

How do I then map my html to panels which wicket wants ? If there is a
template/example that would help.

I also read about wicket-qti which exactly addresses this kind of issue - is
that available ?

Appreciate help!
vasya

Re: Xml models [Was: Making wicket work with Dynamically created html]

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
What CGLIB proxy thing?

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
yup thats the one, and thanks for answering

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
Oh, I have no problem doing that.  The issue is getting the other PMC
members to agree to it.  I had ProxyFactory set up as an interface in
the first place and they strongly suggested that I change it to a
class.

As for the SFL4J-likeness request, I don't think that's too tough.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.
Haha, yes ugly, but very clear.

--
Erik van Oosten

Re: Xml models [Was: Making wicket work with Dynamically created html]

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Erik van Oosten <e....@grons.nl>.
Interesting.

Re: Making wicket work with Dynamically created html

Posted by Jan Kriesten <kr...@mail.footprint.de>.
Hi Vasya,

> The velocity template is pretty good at displaying the html elements
> dynamically, but im not finding an easy way to bind the data back...

I'm not really sure what you're trying to accomplish. You can't use the velocity
to create wicket-components on the fly and have them bound to a form, that'll
not work.

If you want to create some dynamic form you should use repeaters and build them
up using them - and bind the formcomponents directly to the model (maybe you
need to write some specialized model yourself).

Posted by Vasu Srinivasan <va...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the replies. I experimented with wicket-velocity, it was very
easy to get started..

The velocity template is pretty good at displaying the html elements
dynamically, but im not finding an easy way to bind the data back...

The model I have is dynamic , ie I do not know beforehand the names of the
wicket ids. I may have to keep the values in a Map <String, String>. For eg
map("firstName", "xxx") etc, the corresponding wicket:id is "firstName".

When I bind a CompoundPropertyModel() back to the form, I get an error
"firstName" property not found. If I have an empty model bound I get
IllegalStateException: model may be null.

I understand why this is happening, so the qtn is there any other Model I
can use which binds to a Map ? Like if wicket:id is firstName, it should
update map.put("firstName", newValue) ?

On 3/21/09, Jan Kriesten <kr...@mail.footprint.de> wrote:

> Hi Vasya,
>

> > How do I then map my html to panels which wicket wants ? If there is a
> > template/example that would help.
>

> take a look at the wicket-velocity project where velocity templates are
> used for
> components. That should be similar to what you want.
>
> Best regards, --- Jan.

Vasu Srinivasan

Re: Making wicket work with Dynamically created html

Posted by Jan Kriesten <kr...@mail.footprint.de>.
Hi Vasya,

Posted by Brill Pappin <br...@pappin.ca>.
Hmm... what about a custom locator/loader that simply gave back the
html version of the XML when wicket asked for it?
You could even insert the wicket id attributes into the stream if your
XML knew about them, then allow Wicket to go through its normal process.

I don't think anything here will be exactly what you need but take a
look at:
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/control-where-html-files-are-loaded-from.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/custom-resource-paths.html

There are a few pointers that will help you understand what's going on
under the covers, and give you ideas on how your issue might be handled.

- Brill