Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Jakub Glapa <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/25 16:36:43 UTC

tmp directory for Pig

Hi I started running jobs in pig and I'm getting exceptions like that:
>>Caused by: java.io.IOException: No space left on device
I've narrowed down the problem and it looks like the /tmp is to small. I
wanted to set the java.io.tmpdir to point somewhere else like that:

pig -Djava.io.tmpdir=/foo/tmp/ script.pig

but it appears that it's not being picked by pig.
What property could i modify if I want to avoid the need to increase the
size of /tmp folder?

Ps.
pig-0.10.1
running pig scripts with python embedded if it makes any difference

--
regards,
pozdrawiam,

Re: tmp directory for Pig

Posted by Rohini Palaniswamy <ro...@gmail.com>.
java.io.tmpdir should work. If you are running python script, more space is
required as the jars will cached in the java.io.tmp dir. Alternatively, you
can try a different location for it by using -Dpython.cachedir=<location>
or you can skip the caching using -Dpython.cachedir.skip=true.  My guess is
that /foo/tmp also does not have space that is why java.io.tmpdir did not
take effect. Check the space availability using df.

Regards,
Rohini