Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by bjornharvold <bj...@harvold.com> on 2007/04/23 22:08:09 UTC

Tapestry 5 Component Inheritance and Performance

Hi,

This is a best practices question. What is the impact of component level
inheritance as far as performance is concerned? Is the the best solution to
keep components as flat as possible?

Thanks
bjorn

Re: Tapestry 5 Component Inheritance and Performance

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Inheritance is often over-used in the Java world.

The performance impact is quite minimal, nothing to be concerned about.
Further, there are optimizations that can be made within framework code to
further improve performance (at some point I'll see if they are necessary
but I honestly think they will not be).

Performance isn't an issue, but you ability to understand what your code
does is impacted by having much (or even any) inheritance.  Using
aggregation rather than inheritance is usually the best approach.

On 4/23/07, bjornharvold <bj...@harvold.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is a best practices question. What is the impact of component level
> inheritance as far as performance is concerned? Is the the best solution
> keep components as flat as possible?
>
> Thanks
> bjorn

Howard M. Lewis Ship