Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> on 2009/11/24 10:44:08 UTC

Tomcat vs Jetty for a solr instance?

Hi,

We're running a high traffic (very high peak load) site with solr 1.3
(we can't upgrade to 1.4 just yet as we don't have capacity to remove
one of our servers even for the 10 mins time it will take!)

We're currently running the webapp deployed in tomcat 6.0.18.  Most of
the documentation mentions jetty 6.x and we're just wondering if there
is any advantage to either servlet container?

We are using tomcat due to familiarity, but there's no reason why we
couldn't swap if there was a compelling reason.

Thanks,
Kev

Re: Tomcat vs Jetty for a solr instance?

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're running a high traffic (very high peak load) site with solr 1.3
> (we can't upgrade to 1.4 just yet as we don't have capacity to remove
> one of our servers even for the 10 mins time it will take!)
>
> We're currently running the webapp deployed in tomcat 6.0.18.  Most of
> the documentation mentions jetty 6.x and we're just wondering if there
> is any advantage to either servlet container?

Really? Both Jetty and Tomcat have corresponding wiki pages for installation
instructions. Solr isn't really biased towards any of them.

> We are using tomcat due to familiarity, but there's no reason why we
> couldn't swap if there was a compelling reason.

No need to change. Both work great. If it is any consolation, we (AOL) use
Tomcat and I believe Lucid's certified Solr distribution also ships with
Tomcat. Jetty is just smaller and easier to embed and therefore Solr uses it
for testing and examples, though there are lots of shops which use the Jetty
shipped with Solr releases.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.