Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com> on 2014/02/24 18:01:45 UTC

Different login screen in Webtools

Hi,

This has been already discussed in OFBIZ-2103

Then David explained why we should keep the different login screen in webtools.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-2103?focusedCommentId=12660444

I'm personally neutral on this because it's only a matter of changing the auth from false to true for the "main" request-map.
But there are some users who find it annoying.

As last comment in the Jira issue, Bilgin suggested that this was maybe not the best place for these explanations.

So here are more brainstorming questions.
Should we keep it as is?
Should we simply remove this webtools specific feature and explain things somewhere else (not necessarily in an OFBiz internal a web page)?
Should we create an OFBiz internal specific web page for it, as suggested Bilgin then?

Jacques

Re: Different login screen in Webtools

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
I have rerad the entire thread and must say, given that we at ORRTIZ.com
mainly do multi-tenancy, that having a page stating a userID and password
is an unwanted aspect.

Per tenant we create a new superuserId and associated password the moment
we instantiate it. But that is our personal approach to ensure to ensure
that mistakes are minimized. And when logged in we always show the
delegator of the tenant.

Therefore, I am not overly fond of keeping it. Everybody who starts out
with OFBiz knows there is documentation (where explanation about the
starting userid and password and how to change it should be described) and
should know how to access the various apps in the feature set.
While having an explanation about what the webtools app delivers and should
be used for in the starting page of webtools is good, having a userId and
password there is superfluous and potentially misleading and/or dangerous
(from a security perspective).

Having the uniform login mechanism and screens (across all apps) has
advantages like consistency in UI and low maintenance aspects. All in all
my favourite.

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*