Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org> on 2002/07/05 18:16:35 UTC

APR - Java Interface

has anybody implemented a JNI interface to APR ?
I know one has been done for perl

pier ???

Cheers
Ian

Re: APR - Java Interface

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org> wrote:

<snip>

> Build your own API, crafted on the Apache 2.0 one, run JNI, and we're not
> going to have a servlet engine, but a great module (and an useful one!)...
>
> Few pointers from what I think should be "right"... Write some interfaces
> encapsulating the main structures, such as the module (module_rec??? Bah)
> ApacheModule, the request_rec (ApacheRequest), conn_rec (ApacheConnection)
> first... All the rest should more or less follow easily...
>
>     Pier (noticing that Ian is the only one working on July 5th!)

I'm busy watching other people move machines and I get to watch
construction pages go up  all from a un-airconditioned office

Re: APR - Java Interface

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org> wrote:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>> Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> has anybody implemented a JNI interface to APR ?
>>> I know one has been done for perl
>>>
>>> pier ???
>
> Thanks.. that should be a great start..
> I mainly need to do the Table & bucket API's I think

??? What's shit to one eye is a "great start" to another... :) I was about
to rm -rf that stuff :)

>> Sorry... I've been pretty foobared up in the last few days... I did start
>> implementing it, but didn't go that far, I have some code with allows the
>> JVM to be loaded by APR, and was working on methods registration... It's
>> really slim, it was the start of the embedded servlet container, until I
>> realized that (me dumb) embedding a servlet engine (not a JVM, I'm talking
>> about the full thing, with sessions and crap like that) was so completely
>> and utterly wrong! :) (told you the story already).
>
> yeah yeah.. I know.. but I still think I can make something like this
> work (for very lightweight things..)

As I said, if you don't care about the servlet API (which has some absurd
postulates going against the idea of a decent web server API - read,
sessions, fixed deployment paths, and others), then fuck yeah, you're more
than right...

We _need_ something a-la mod_perl in Java... If not for anything else but
XSLT transformations, or template engines. It takes basically zero time to
develop those using the JDK platform, while if I have to rely on each single
component written in C I will die with SIGSEGVs! :)

Re: APR - Java Interface

Posted by Ian Holsman <ia...@apache.org>.

Re: APR - Java Interface

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.