Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Dmitriy Vsekhvalnov <dv...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/10 12:24:00 UTC

kafka-streams dying if can't create internal topics

Hi all,

still doing disaster testing with Kafka cluster, when crashing several
brokers at once sometimes we observe exception in kafka-stream app about
inability to create internal topics:

[WARN ] [org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.InternalTopicManager]
[Could not create internal topics: Found only 2 brokers,  but replication
factor is 3. Decrease replication factor for internal topics via
StreamsConfig parameter "replication.factor" or add more brokers to your
cluster. Retry #2]
[WARN ] [org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.InternalTopicManager]
[Could not create internal topics: Found only 2 brokers,  but replication
factor is 3. Decrease replication factor for internal topics via
StreamsConfig parameter "replication.factor" or add more brokers to your
cluster. Retry #3]
[WARN ] [org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.InternalTopicManager]
[Could not create internal topics: Found only 2 brokers,  but replication
factor is 3. Decrease replication factor for internal topics via
StreamsConfig parameter "replication.factor" or add more brokers to your
cluster. Retry #4]
[INFO ] [org.apache.kafka.streams.processor.internals.StreamThread]
[stream-thread [Shutting down]

The problem is that number of retries seems to be hardcoded to 5.
From InternalTopicManager.MAX_TOPIC_READY_TRY constant.

Any way to make to configurable? It's really not nice that app is shutting
down, instead of just re-trying (potentially with exponential backoff)
until all broker are available back.

Should we open feature/issue request?

Thank you.

Re: kafka-streams dying if can't create internal topics

Posted by Dmitriy Vsekhvalnov <dv...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Matthias,

here is issue: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-6047

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.