Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Michael S. Tsirkin" <ms...@mellanox.co.il> on 2005/01/03 22:27:29 UTC

subversion 1.1.2 redhat 9.0 spec

Hi!
After a bit of work I updated the spec file for subversion 1.1.2
for redhat 9.0 from http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/pub/subversion/latest/,
and built the rpms.
The perl bindings could not be built for some reason (compilation errors),
so I disabled them (I have perl 5.8.0). Not sure why, plain make
in perl directory works fine, but no matter I dont need perl bindings.

I also fixed a small bug in spec file where during test it was attempting
to run svnserve on the default port, which was conflicting
with the actual svnserve I am running.
And, I added a line to remove the neon library from the subversion build,
to force using the system library instead.

I'm not on the list so mail me directly with questions, if any.

HTH

Enjoy,
MST

Re: subversion 1.1.3 redhat 9.0 spec

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.
On 2005-01-16 16:34:59 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> - subversion is built against the in-tree neon library.
>   this is incorrect I think - with RPMs you must build
>   against a system-wide library.
>
> By the way, it seems that, for some reason, if neon
> exists in tree subversion make always builds it,
> even when configured with --with-neon - I had to remove
> the neon sub-directory to handle that.

cant agree on this point. it builds against system neon on all of my
boxes. i maintain rpms for suse and it just works.

darix

--
irssi - the client of the smart and beautiful people

              http://www.irssi.de/

Re: subversion 1.1.3 redhat 9.0 spec

Posted by David Summers <da...@summersoft.fay.ar.us>.
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> Hello, David, devs!
> subversion 1.1.3 redhat 9.0 spec for source rpm currently seems to expose
> a couple of problems:
>
> - server test is run on the default port.
>   this means you can not build the rpm on a machine
>   where a real subversion server is running, since
>   the test fails
>
> It is possible I guess that the target for make svntest
> shall be changed to avoid this port, but its equally
> easy to work around this in the spec.
>
> - subversion is built against the in-tree neon library.
>   this is incorrect I think - with RPMs you must build
>   against a system-wide library.
>
> By the way, it seems that, for some reason, if neon
> exists in tree subversion make always builds it,
> even when configured with --with-neon - I had to remove
> the neon sub-directory to handle that.

Thanks for the patch, I checked that stuff in as rev 12651 a few days ago,
but unless we nominate it for the 1.1.x branch it won't show up until 1.2.

If it is causing any problems I can nominate it for 1.1.4.

--
David Wayne Summers          "Linux: Because reboots are for hardware upgrades!"
david@summersoft.fay.ar.us   PGP Key: http://summersoft.fay.ar.us/~david/pgp.txt

subversion 1.1.3 redhat 9.0 spec

Posted by "Michael S. Tsirkin" <ms...@mellanox.co.il>.
Hello, David, devs!
subversion 1.1.3 redhat 9.0 spec for source rpm currently seems to expose
a couple of problems:

- server test is run on the default port.
  this means you can not build the rpm on a machine
  where a real subversion server is running, since
  the test fails

It is possible I guess that the target for make svntest
shall be changed to avoid this port, but its equally
easy to work around this in the spec.

- subversion is built against the in-tree neon library.
  this is incorrect I think - with RPMs you must build
  against a system-wide library.

By the way, it seems that, for some reason, if neon
exists in tree subversion make always builds it,
even when configured with --with-neon - I had to remove
the neon sub-directory to handle that.

so anyway, here is a patch to your spec file, and
an updated spec [attached].

MST

Re: subversion 1.1.2 redhat 9.0 spec

Posted by "Michael S. Tsirkin" <ms...@mellanox.co.il>.
Hello!
First off, dont take offence, I'm a perl user too.

Quoting r. Marcus Rueckert (darix@web.de) "Re: subversion 1.1.2 redhat 9.0 spec":
> On 2005-01-04 00:27:29 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> > The perl bindings could not be built for some reason (compilation errors),
> > so I disabled them (I have perl 5.8.0). Not sure why, plain make
> > in perl directory works fine, but no matter I dont need perl bindings.
>
> the patch to fix this is out since days.

Link? Shouldnt it go under Subversion/Releases directory?

> and if you write spec files for
> general use
I dont. I thought David Summers is supposed to do this for RH.
I updated the 1.1.1 spec since I needed it at work, and its not available
yet.

> you should not disable language bindings and stuff. some
> other packages (like svk) might rely on it.
I guess I could try adding the patch and fixing the spec to reenable perl,
so if someone actually needs this spec, let me know and I may be able help.

> just my 2 cents.
>
> darix

thanks,

Posted by Marcus Rueckert <da...@web.de>.
On 2005-01-04 00:27:29 +0200, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> The perl bindings could not be built for some reason (compilation errors),
> so I disabled them (I have perl 5.8.0). Not sure why, plain make
> in perl directory works fine, but no matter I dont need perl bindings.

the patch to fix this is out since days. and if you write spec files for
general use you should not disable language bindings and stuff. some