Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de> on 2008/03/22 12:13:20 UTC

SVN 1.5 - Beta 1 - svn changelist - Bug

Hi there,

i have taken a look at the new changelist command.

I have added two files to a changelist via:

svn changelist ISSUE1 file1.c file2.c

Ok. Fine.

Now i have discovered that the Issue name has been change so i want to
change the name of the ChangeList....

svn changelist ISSUE1 --changelist ISSUE2

There i got an error message:
svn: Try 'svn help' for more info
svn: Not enough arguments provided

I have taken a look into the Subversion Book and there the above command
is described to rename changelist's....
I have tried to add an other option (like --depth=infinity) to the
command line, but as expected i got the same result.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise
Dipl.Ing.(FH) Karl Heinz Marbaise        ICQ#: 135949029
Hauptstrasse 177                         USt.IdNr: DE191347579
52146 Würselen                           http://www.soebes.de

Re: SVN 1.5 - Beta 1 - svn changelist - Bug

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi to all,

i would like to summarize the things a little bit:

The book says:

svn changelist NewName --cl OldName

can be used to rename a change-list.

But the current state is (SVN 1.5. Beta 1):

svn changelist NewName --cl OldName -R .

has to be used to rename a change-list, cause if you omit the "-R ." you
will get the earlier described error messages.

This can mean two(three) things:

1. Change the code accordingly as the book describes the behavior

2. Change the book accordingly to the current behavior

3. Make it completely different.
   (Not a real choice..;-))

Other suggestions or has been made a decision already ?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>

> i have taken a look into the discussion...
>
>> These are intended, yes; all of these (implicit dot by default, 'skip'
>> messages, and default depth) were discussed when the changes were made.
>> The changes were committed in r29671 and r29672, following discussions
>> in the following threads:
>>
>>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/97003
>>
>>     http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/96711
>>

>> While I wrote some of this code, I won't object to removing it if the
>> concensus is to remove it.
>
> So the result would be to give the people who are working on the book a
> hint, that the described behavior(usage) in the book is not the way SVN
> currently behaves...

Yes, I've fallen behind on tracking the latest evolutions of the changelist
command.  I've cc:ed svnbook-dev@red-bean.com as a reminder to fix this
soonishly.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>

Re: SVN 1.5 - Beta 1 - svn changelist - Bug

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.
Karl Heinz Marbaise wrote on Sat, 22 Mar 2008 at 15:10 +0100:
> Hi Daniel,
>> 'svn changelist' doesn't assume an implicit '.' target when no path
>> argument is given, unlike most other subcommands.  I think you want:
>>
>>     svn cl ISSUE2 --cl ISSUE1 -R .
>>                                  ^
>
> Yes this works, but it produces many messages
>
> Skipped '.'
> Skipped 'src'
> Skipped 'src/main'
> Skipped 'src/main/java'
>
> and than it produces the expected messages:
> svn: warning: Removing 'changes.xml' from changelist 'ISSUE1'
> Path 'changes.xml' is now a member of changelist 'math-bug'
> svn: warning: Removing 'pom.xml' from changelist 'ISSUE1'
> Path 'pom.xml' is now a member of changelist 'math-bug'
>
> If this is the intended usage (which i'm not concerned of) it is not
> correctly described in the SVN 1.5 book...
>
> On the other side i would say if i use a changelist in this relationship
> i didn't think about using '-R ..' option to make a rename of the
> changelist ....cause changelists only work in relationship with
> filenames and not with directories....
>
> Kind regards
> Karl Heinz Marbaise

These are intended, yes; all of these (implicit dot by default, 'skip'
messages, and default depth) were discussed when the changes were made.
The changes were committed in r29671 and r29672, following discussions
in the following threads:

 	http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/97003
 	http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/96711

While I wrote some of this code, I won't object to removing it if the
concensus is to remove it.

Daniel

Re: SVN 1.5 - Beta 1 - svn changelist - Bug

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi Daniel,

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.co.il>.