Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by "meirav.malka" <me...@gmail.com> on 2016/10/26 08:22:01 UTC

Can a compaction storm occur in hbase 1.0

Hi,
As far as I understand, a compaction storm occurs when multiple regions of the same region server perform compaction.
It looks like,  from watching hbase UI that within a region server, compaction is done serially for a specific table.(one region at a time)
So does this mean that a compaction storm can happen only if you have more than one table?
Thanks

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

Re: Can a compaction storm occur in hbase 1.0

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
The default configuration is (likely) only using one thread for
performing compactions (really, one thread for small and one thread for
big compactions). As such, yes, compactions in one RegionServer would be
performed serially.

But, don't forget, you probably have multiple RegionServers which all
host regions.

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
What's the pattern for write load on this table ?
I think the compaction behavior is correlated with write accesses.

Cheers