Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com> on 2007/07/10 01:55:52 UTC

Re: Release note suggestions WAS Re: [VOTE] 10.3.1.1

On 7/9/07, Daniel John Debrunner <dj...@apache.org> wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > After the testing of 10.3.1.0 beta as documented on the testing pages
> > for the DerbyTenThreeRelease
> > (see:http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease#head-c6b20b58527b8de23f358548756f36e643da2e71),
> >
> > I have now prepared a release candidate, 10.3.1.1 (build/revision
> > 554502). It is available on:
>
> Looking at the release notes I have a couple of suggestions for future
> releases.
>
> 1) Just list features as features, not "big" & "small". I don't see how
> the determination was made than one feature was "big" and one "small".
> It doesn't correlate to amount of effort and labeling a feature as small
> might disappoint a contributor who worked hard to implement their feature.

For the most part, I took what was documented on the Wiki, assuming
folks had raised their own, or eachother's trumpet as appropriate. I
then went and checked that all the bugs listed were closed and did not
include duplicates or wont fixes. Next I compared this list with 'new
features' type issues in JIRA which had a fix-in for 10.3.0.0 (there
were none for 10.3.1.0 or 10.3.1.1) and checked that all were either
on the list, or linked to one of the issues on the list.

But I think it makes sense to add a section to the release notes
generator that just dumbly puts all new features in ordered by on asc
(or desc) bug number.

> 2) For release notes that describe corrected SQL query behaviour I don't
> think the summaries should use the term "different", as in "different
> results" or "behave differently", e.g. Notes for DERBY-2526, DERBY-2370
> & others. What is really happening is the queries have been changed to
> return *correct* results. To a reader "different" (in the summary) seems
> kind of vague and worrying.

I'll modify the web page that discusses jira if I can find a good
place for it to point this out.

> Dan.

Thx for your  input.
Myrna