Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Woodchuck <wo...@yahoo.com> on 2005/05/18 17:08:53 UTC

mime mappings and web resource control

hihi,

what controls what type of resource will be displayed within the
browser?  (versus invoking an external application specifically for
that resource type?)

for example on one of my web pages i have this link:
http://localhost:8080/myapp/hello.txt

on Tomcat 4.1.24 clicking on that link will automatically invoke
Notepad.exe to display that hello.txt file.  the web page stays in the
background and is not changed.

however, on Tomcat 5.5.9 clicking on that link will cause the hello.txt
file to be displayed within the browser itself (ie. it does not use
Notepad.exe)

what i want is for Tomcat 5.5.9 to invoke Notepad.exe to handle the txt
file.

i am using the same browser for both scenarios so it is not a browser
setting.

i have tried deleting the mime-mapping for the txt extension but it
does not help.

from my testing, the only thing different is the Tomcat server.  does
anyone know how to control this type of behavior regarding web requests
for resources?

thanks in advance,
woodchuck