Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net> on 2003/08/18 12:32:52 UTC

Xouvert (the fork of xfree86) are using Arch

Hi,

First, congrats Tom (Lord). Arch's (and your) high profile on xouvert's
front page are well deserved!

Well folks: -Fire up your browsers and have a look at
http://www.xouvert.org/.

Why did they choose Arch and not Subversion (according to their front
page, they know about Subversion).

Why will one want to use any other SCM, for example BitKeeper and Arch.
Well, I can see some reasons:
-Arch and BitKeeper are good programs.
-They are doing a very good job (on the web) when they are telling
 potential users why they should use them.
-Some heavy and/or well known users are using them (Linux/BitKeeper
 and now Xouvert/Arch)

Will Subversion's home page convince a new user _fast_ that Subversion
are _the_ SCM to use? Will a potential new Subversion user understand
quickly how good Subversion are?

I think that Subversions web pages can improve a lot as a tool for
catching new users and telling them why Subversion are so good.

Do not misunderstand me, I love Subversion (and are really proud to be a
small part of the Subversion community) and will do anything I can for
making it better (the limit is my skills and time of course).

Do I have some real suggestions for improving Subversion's home page?
-No, not at the moment (that may change). It works very well for me.

:-)

Jostein

--

Jostein Chr. Andersen <jo...@josander.net> http://www.josander.net/

Public PGP Key:
Key: http://www.josander.net/pub_keys/jostein_josander.net.asc

Re: Xouvert (the fork of xfree86) are using Arch

Posted by kf...@collab.net.
Tom Lord <lo...@emf.net> writes:
> quote from your message), the arch project is migrating this month.
> The new home page is:
>
> 	http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch

Thanks, I'll make sure to use the new address.

> Regarding GNU Emacs, you might want to talk with Miles Bader (username
> for email "miles" in the domain "gnu.org").  I believe he's been using
> arch for Emacs work and might have some interest in helping to set up
> a public archive for others interested in doing the same.

I've been watching him and RMS in the thread on 'emacs-devel', yeah.

Re: Xouvert (the fork of xfree86) are using Arch

Posted by Tom Lord <lo...@emf.net>.

    > From: kfogel@collab.net

Concerning the arch home page and it's excesses (re stuff I didn't
quote from your message), the arch project is migrating this month.
The new home page is:

	http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch

(The link is currently messed up but
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnu-arch/index.jp.html is the Japanese
version -- I'm not sure whether the cron jobs of caught up with the
latest version of that yet.)

The migration isn't complete yet -- the GNU site for arch should be
fully on-line by the end of the month.

    > Wishful thinking land: What I'd really like is for some project I work
    > on (GNU Emacs or something) to switch to Arch, so that I'd be forced
    > to use Arch as a developer.  Then I could really grok it, and even
    > write an accurate comparison.  But until that happens, I guess I'll
    > just refer people to Arch's home page and recommend that they try it
    > for themselves if they want to compare it against Subversion.

Regarding GNU Emacs, you might want to talk with Miles Bader (username
for email "miles" in the domain "gnu.org").  I believe he's been using
arch for Emacs work and might have some interest in helping to set up
a public archive for others interested in doing the same.

-t

"Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net> writes:
> Will Subversion's home page convince a new user _fast_ that Subversion
> are _the_ SCM to use? Will a potential new Subversion user understand
> quickly how good Subversion are?
>
> I think that Subversions web pages can improve a lot as a tool for
> catching new users and telling them why Subversion are so good.
>
> Do not misunderstand me, I love Subversion (and are really proud to be a
> small part of the Subversion community) and will do anything I can for
> making it better (the limit is my skills and time of course).
>
> Do I have some real suggestions for improving Subversion's home page?
> -No, not at the moment (that may change). It works very well for me.

Thanks, Jostein.  I completely agree that our home pages could use
some improvement, and I'm planning to take some time this week to work
on it.  The Arch home page (http://arch.fifthvision.net/) does a good
job of presenting the important points right up front, though it still
lays on the marketing a bit thick IMHO :-).

Wishful thinking land: What I'd really like is for some project I work
on (GNU Emacs or something) to switch to Arch, so that I'd be forced
to use Arch as a developer.  Then I could really grok it, and even
write an accurate comparison.  But until that happens, I guess I'll
just refer people to Arch's home page and recommend that they try it
for themselves if they want to compare it against Subversion.

-K

Re: Xouvert (the fork of xfree86) are using Arch

Posted by Greg Hudson <gh...@MIT.EDU>.
On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 08:32, Jostein Chr. Andersen wrote:
> -Some heavy and/or well known users are using them (Linux/BitKeeper
>  and now Xouvert/Arch)

Let's not jump the gun here.  Linux is a widely used kernel with
hundreds of developers (only some of whom use bitkeeper).  Xouvert is an
idea in a few people's heads and a web page, premature slashdot
references notwithstanding.

(Like Karl, though, I'm genuinely interested in whether arch will work
out for a project of this size, assuming the project isn't stillborn.
I'll be watching their mailing list.)