Posted to dev@trafficcontrol.apache.org by Jeremy Mitchell <mi...@apache.org> on 2023/11/30 21:25:06 UTC

Comcast ATC Open Source Withdrawal Announcement

A message from Comcast:

Since inception, Comcast has been the driving force on the Apache Traffic
Server OSS project. As the CDN landscape is evolving, it has become clear
that Comcast must adapt its CDN business as well. This evaluation includes
weighing our investments against the return on those investments. An area
of focus has been our participation in different open source communities,
and at this point in time the ATC project is not balanced enough for
Comcast to continue to contribute. We do care dearly about the project and
feel that it is best if Comcast withdraws, at least temporarily, to allow
other contributors to take a larger role and encouraging additional
participation from new sources. If the project begins to thrive, Comcast is
absolutely willing to rejoin the community.  Please know that this was a
difficult and emotional decision, as Comcast and ATC have been very much
intertwined. This is purely a business decision and is in no way meant to
diminish the incredible accomplishments this community have made and how
much delivery it has empowered.  We would like to thank the community and
will certainly continue to monitor its progress. The official release of
ATC 8.0 will mark Comcast's final contribution.

Re: Comcast ATC Open Source Withdrawal Announcement

Posted by Eric Friedrich <fr...@apache.org>.
Jeremy-

Thanks to you and the rest of the team.

I personally appreciate everything Comcast and the Traffic Control team
have contributed over the past decade or so. Let's hope this pause is short
lived and Traffic Control continues on into the future.

As always, if anyone is interested in helping fill this void by becoming a
contributor or increasing their contributions, now is a great time to get
started. There's plenty of good-first-issues in Github Issues.

Hopefully some of the Comcast folks will continue to lurk in Slack/on
mailing lists.

--Eric