Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mike Wannamaker <Mi...@KINGSTON.Hummingbird.com> on 2006/07/13 21:57:27 UTC

Tomcat Not An App Server

I know that Tomcat is not really an App Server like JBoss etc... However, if
I had a component that was not a web application and I wanted to start it
inside tomcat how could I do that ?

Is there some configuration file I would need to add something to in order
to have a component started and would I need to implement some Tomcat
interface to do it?

TIA
Mike Wannamaker

Re: Tomcat Not An App Server

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Tomcat's not really an app server?  Geee really, I feel so inadequate
now. :-(

Seriously, I think I've seen this religious war around here somewhere
and it really depends on definition.  No, it's not a full J2EE
container, but it's definitely an app server in my opinion.

Have you read the servlet spec and thought about the
ServletContextListener for handling the start/shutdown of a component
within your app?

--David

Re: Tomcat Not An App Server

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Mike,

> I know that Tomcat is not really an App Server like JBoss etc...

Some may argue with me, but I would consider Tomcat an app server. JBoss
happens to be an EJB container as well as a servlet container (and
provides some other services as well), while Tomcat provides only the
servlet container and some directory services.

> However, if I had a component that was not a web application and I
> wanted to start it inside tomcat how could I do that ?

> Is there some configuration file I would need to add something to in
> order to have a component started and would I need to implement some
> Tomcat interface to do it?

What do you want to run inside of Tomcat that is not a web application?
Tomcat is basically a web application container, so I'm not sure what
else you'd want to run.

-chris