Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by ba...@liga.net on 2006/04/17 11:20:17 UTC

Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Hello!

I want to be sure, that I can use jetspeed2 technology for creating
web-site of the big corporation with thousands of concurrent users...

So, can you help me with links to web-sites of commercial organizations,
that use jetspeed2 technology?

Thank you very much!

Re: new bie question - cutom portal server

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 4/18/06, Latha Samala <La...@kofax.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed JetSpeed 2 binaries.
>
> 1. How do I create a custom portal server (maven genapp plugin link is not
> working http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs/jakarta-jetspeed/plugin/).
>  JetSpeed will install this App
>  http://localhost:8080/jetspeed/portal/
>
>  How do I create
>  http://www.mycompany.com/myapp1/portal
>  http://www.mycompany.com/myapp2/portal

I would discourage using the build.properties in your home directory.
It is best practice to put it in the root directory of your portal
application. Then you can develop more than one portal on the same
machine.

I would also suggest using j2:portal.genapp.minimal. Although this
requires that you copy the src/webapp/WEB-INF/pages/system and _user
directories to your project. You get a cleaner project.

Store any modifications to the j2 portal in src/webapp.

I also suggest building jetspeed from source. The commands are maven
-o initMavenPlugin, maven -o allBuild.

As you add or modify source to Jetspeed run maven -o
j2:portal.genapp.minimal in your project. This updates the target
directory with the modifications.

If you don't want to overwrite and reinitialize your database then run
maven -o j2:nodbQuickStart to deploy.

I also learned a nice trick in Linux that will start your development
servers at boot. And setup a remote debugging environment Add this
line to your /etc/inittab. But don't forget to set JRE_HOME and
CATALINA_HOME in catalina.sh

tc:345:respawn:/usr/bin/sudo -u phil
/home/phil/apache-tomcat-5.5.16/bin/catalina.sh jpda run >
/tmp/tomcat.log 2>&1

It's that easy :)

>   Besides creating in directory webapps (for Tomcat ) what should be done
> to make it a jetspeed portal server.
>
> 2. How do I access jetspeed2 admin portal.
>
> Thanks
> Latha
>

>              "Alexey
>              Manulenko"
>              <manl@rosten.elek                                          To
>              tra.ru>                   "Jetspeed Users List"
>                                        <je...@portals.apache.org>
>              04/17/2006 10:08                                           cc
>              PM
>                                                                    Subject
>                                        Re: Give me, please, links to
>              Please respond to         web-sites, working on JetSpeed2
>               "Jetspeed Users          technology
>                    List"
>              <jetspeed-user@po
>              rtals.apache.org>
>

> Hello,
>
> http://www.gestion400.com/openxava/portal
>
> They didn't change original the layouts much...
>
> Best regards,
> Alex

Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy
Office: +33 5 56 60 88 02
Mobile: +33 6 20 83 22 62

new bie question - cutom portal server

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.
Wiadomosc od Philip Mark Donaghy z 2006-04-17 19:57 brzmiala:

> Is that Polish that were learning? An what about internationalization,
> did you have any issues?
Probably yes, but the purpose of the system is a purely regional use.
Personally, I do hope we will be able to add English language support,
at least to the most commonly used features.

--
pozdrawiam,
     Jacek Wislicki

jacek.wislicki@gmail.com
tel.: +48 502 408 444
gg: 2540358
skype: jacek_wislicki

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.
Wiadomosc od Thorsten Berger z 2006-04-18 01:25 brzmiala:

> your portal looks very good.
Thanks :)
> Are you using the admin portlets that come with jetspeed?
> We're having about 850 users and the admin portlets are not really
> capable of handling that yet (i.e. retrieving all users into the session
> is a bit slow and searching by user attributes isn't implemented).
No, we are using custom admin portlets. We needed some special features
since the system is managed by its users, who can create their admin
accounts (representing some companies, institutions, etc.) and add and
manage their own sub-users. The core admin portlets usually are mainly
for reporting, not managing users.

--
pozdrawiam,
     Jacek Wislicki

jacek.wislicki@gmail.com
tel.: +48 502 408 444
gg: 2540358
skype: jacek_wislicki

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by Thorsten Berger <be...@imn.htwk-leipzig.de>.
>> I like and the performance is really good. If you could give us some
>> information about the network and servers used to run it that would be
>> helpful to everyone. And I learned that 'Pogoda' means weather.
>>
>> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Yes, of course :) We would like to have some time for real-life
> testing and building user database. The portal is rather empty now.

Hi Jacek,

your portal looks very good.
Are you using the admin portlets that come with jetspeed?
We're having about 850 users and the admin portlets are not really
capable of handling that yet (i.e. retrieving all users into the session
is a bit slow and searching by user attributes isn't implemented).

Regards, Thorsten

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.
Wiadomosc od Philip Mark Donaghy z 2006-04-17 17:41 brzmiala:

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.
I like and the performance is really good. If you could give us some
information about the network and servers used to run it that would be
helpful to everyone. And I learned that 'Pogoda' means weather.

Thanks for the reply.

Phil

On 4/17/06, Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wiadomosc od baranovsky@liga.net z 2006-04-17 13:35 brzmiala:
>
> >> http://portals.apache.org/jetspeed-2/who-uses-j2.html
> > As I see, web-sites of these 8 companies aren't written with JetSpeed2
> > technology.
> >
> > Blue Sunrise web-site is static
> > Convergsys web-site is written with php
> > GroundWork web-site  looks like static
> > iWise web-site is static
> > R.O.S.A web-site not looks like jetspeed site
> > UGS  web-site not looks like jetspeed site
> > web-site  looks like staticWfMOpen
> >

> > So, I'm don't see no one web-sites, written with JetSpeed2. Could someone
> > give me a link to web-site, created with JetSpeed2?
> http://www.nauka-biznes.org.pl
> The site is launching on this friday.
>
> --
> pozdrawiam,
>      Jacek Wislicki
>
> jacek.wislicki@gmail.com
> tel.: +48 502 408 444
> gg: 2540358
> skype: jacek_wislicki

Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy
Office: +33 5 56 60 88 02
Mobile: +33 6 20 83 22 62

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.
Wiadomosc od Philip Mark Donaghy z 2006-04-20 02:51 brzmiala:

> I'm curious to know how easy it is to integrate the FCKeditor and are
> you using the ContentViewer portlet with that, or which portlet?
No, I've written a class based on a GenericPortlet which stores its
fragments' preferences (such as a list of users priviledged for editing
the fragment and the path where FCKeditor stores its contents) in a
database. The preferences are editable in portlet EDIT mode.

The only problem was that FCKeditor does not support pointing to
different working directories for different calls (at least in JSP
version), therefore I had to extend it with exchanging servlet context
attributes with another webapp which editable portlet fragments belong to.

> Otherwise I think that there is a pretty high learning curve with
> Jetspeed. But once you have the core concepts down PSML, user groups
> and roles, preferences, bridges, decorators, maven :( you can get
> things done really fast. Even one person can create an enterprise
> portal in a matter of a few months. Jetspeed's real value is the
> ability to let the portal users do the work. Outside of specialize
> portlets they create the content.
Yes, this is the main idea of our portal, e.g. users can comment
fragments edited by other users as in a simple forum. Jetspeed is an
excellent base for building portal systems.

--
pozdrawiam,
     Jacek Wislicki

jacek.wislicki@gmail.com
tel.: +48 502 408 444
gg: 2540358
skype: jacek_wislicki

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by Philip Mark Donaghy <ph...@gmail.com>.

On 4/19/06, Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wiadomosc od Alexey Manulenko z 2006-04-19 12:48 brzmiala:
>
> > How long did it take you to set up your portal?
> 8 months... But do not get discouraged, the portal is extended with mail
> server, HTTP server, FTP server, external database server (all for "web
> hosting" services for portal users), custom CMS with online HTML editor
> (FCKeditor, a really great thing), OLAT (LMS) and many additional features.
>
> --
> pozdrawiam,
>      Jacek Wislicki
>
> jacek.wislicki@gmail.com
> tel.: +48 502 408 444
> gg: 2540358
> skype: jacek_wislicki

Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy
Office: +33 5 56 60 88 02
Mobile: +33 6 20 83 22 62

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Manulenko <ma...@rosten.elektra.ru>.
Hello,

How long did it take you to set up your portal?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Alex

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.
Wiadomosc od baranovsky@liga.net z 2006-04-18 09:18 brzmiala:

> Can you say me, what is your server configuration for your site?
P4 3 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Debian.

--
pozdrawiam,
     Jacek Wislicki

jacek.wislicki@gmail.com
tel.: +48 502 408 444
gg: 2540358
skype: jacek_wislicki

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by ba...@liga.net.
Great!

Can you say me, what is your server configuration for your site?

---
With best regards,
Vitaly Baranovsky

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.
Wiadomosc od baranovsky@liga.net z 2006-04-18 09:30 brzmiala:

> Are you using jetspeed-1 or jetspeed-2?
Jetspeed 2, a build of one of the latest trunk versions (2 or 3 weeks old).

--
pozdrawiam,
     Jacek Wislicki

jacek.wislicki@gmail.com
tel.: +48 502 408 444
gg: 2540358
skype: jacek_wislicki

Re: Give me, please, links to web-sites, working on JetSpeed2 technology

Posted by ba...@liga.net.
And yet one question...

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacek Wiślicki <ja...@gmail.com>.