Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Kyle Mitchell <ky...@kemitchell.com> on 2017/08/30 23:03:49 UTC

Modification of The Apache License

Greetings, all.

The License FAQ mentions that others may modify the Foundation's CLAs:

https://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#CLA-Usage

However, I do not see any parallel permission for the text of The Apache
License itself.

May others freely derive from the Apache 2.0 terms?  I am very
mindful that the Apache trademark looms large for those who might
confuse or deceive others by passing off modifications as the
standardized original.

Best,

Kyle Mitchell, attorney // Oakland // (510) 712 - 0933

Re: Modification of The Apache License

Posted by Kyle Mitchell <ky...@kemitchell.com>.
Craig,

Thanks again so much for responding so quickly.

I greatly appreciate the addition you've made.
It's an upgrade on the status quo, clarifying what
terms apply to the license itself.  But I don't
think it addresses the strangeness of the license
conditions as applied to a modified license.

Following the existing pattern of the notice on
the CLAs would:

    MAY I RE-USE (AND MODIFY) THE APACHE LICENSE
    FOR MY OWN PURPOSES?

    Yes, you are allowed to use and modify it. You
    just can't hold the ASF legally responsible if
    the license is not exactly what you intend it
    to be. We recommend that you obtain your own
    legal advice so you know exactly what you are
    getting yourself into.

    Also, if you adopt the license for your
    purposes, you have to make sure that the name
    'Apache License' or any confusingly similar
    references do not appear in your terms (except
    to note that your terms are derived and differ
    from the original provided by the ASF).

I hope you don't see my providing language as
presumptuous.  Apache can and should keep its own,
very excellent, counsel on the matter.  Especially
if there's been no prior decision on the matter by
folks legal.

Posted by Kyle Mitchell <ky...@kemitchell.com>.
Craig,

Thanks yet again.

I like this language very much.  But again, I'd
encourage you to shop it internally with ASF's
very capable lawyers.

I don't want to be seen as walking the ASF into
any kind of public statement with legal
consequences out of my own interest.  My own
interests are secondary to the greater good of the
ASF.  I have a feeling we're aligned, but that's
not for me to say or advise.

Very best,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi K,

Last try: http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#mod-license

Craig

> On Aug 30, 2017, at 5:07 PM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi K,
>
>> On Aug 30, 2017, at 5:02 PM, Kyle Mitchell <ky...@kemitchell.com> wrote:
>>
>> Craig,
>>
>> Thank you for your fast and helpful reply.
>>
>> I see the footer on the license page, but fear
>> that that Apache-for-Apache makes a mighty strange
>> loop.  For example, I wonder whether the
>> change of title that you proposed would adequately
>> address the Section 4 redistribution conditions.
>> Would one have to retain the Apache copyright
>> notice in the modified, note changes, and provide
>> a copy of the original, unmodified Apache License
>> along with one's modified version?
>>
>> I would vastly prefer to find a public statement
>> along the lines of the one for the CLAs somewhere
>> else in the Apache-sphere, if one has been made.
>> Perhaps not.
>
> Does this satisfy? http://www.apache.org/foundation/license-faq.html#mod-license
>
> This issue has come up before, and hopefully this will answer future questions.
>
> Regards,
>
> Craig
>>
>> For those who may be interested in law form
>> licensing, as an aside and _not_ as a suggestion
>> as to what the Foundation should do here:
>>
>> http://www.adamsdrafting.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Copyright-NYLJ-8.23.06.pdf
>>
>> https://github.com/kemitchell/law-form-license/blob/master/LICENSE
>>
>> Altogether, the concept of law form copyright
>> gives me the heebie-jeebies.  Alas, duty compels.
>>
>> Best,

>> --
>> Kyle Mitchell, attorney // Oakland // (510) 712 - 0933

> Craig L Russell
> clr@apache.org

Craig L Russell
clr@apache.org

Re: Modification of The Apache License

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi K,

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi K,

Please note that this is not a forum for legal advice.

The license itself is distributed under the terms of the license.

Look at the page http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

At the bottom, "Copyright © 2017 The Apache Software Foundation, Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0."

So, you can adapt the license itself or any of its parts, but as you have noted that you are very mindful, if you make changes, be sure that it is clear that your license is not confused with the Apache license. Specifically, your license should change:

Apache License
Version 2.0, January 2004
http://www.apache.org/licenses/

to something else, like: