Posted to dev@polygene.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2017/06/09 02:50:51 UTC

More ServiceActivation

I found another bad side-effect of the current Service Activation.

The issue I have is that a Private Mixin is not seen by the Service
Activation system, and activateService() is never called.

So, I thought that I simply do a delegation from the public Mixin to the
private one;

@This
private MyPrivate parts;

public void activateService()
    throw Exception
{
     parts.activateService();
}

Anybody cares to guess what Exception I got?? ;-)

--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: More ServiceActivation

Posted by Stanislav Muhametsin <st...@zest.mail.kapsi.fi>.
On 9.6.2017 13:10, Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> How about the (to me) difference between "Service Activation" (singleton,
> outside view) and "Service Mixin Lifecycle" (typically resource
> initialization that each mixin manage on its own)? Did you figure out the
> detailed semantics here as well?

I took a bit different approach in C# than what was in Java back in that
time, I think it was originally your suggestion:
Each fragment class can declare any amount of methods, which are
annotated with annotations recognized by Polygene.
If such method declares any parameters, they all must be injectable.

For example, if fragment class has any methods with [Activation]
annotation, these methods will be executed when service is activated.
The passivation works similarly for [Passivation] annotation.

Similarly I have [Initialize] annotation, those methods will be executed
every time instance of fragment has been created and all fields injected.
Typically, instance of fragment is created only once during composite
lifecycle, but concurrent access may cause additional creations.

Then I have [Prototype] annotation, those methods will be executed when
the composite factory transforms from prototype phase to actual
composite phase.
So, the [Prototype] methods will be executed at most once during
composite lifecycle.
Note that indeed composite factory does not create copy when
"Instantiate" method is called - composite instance internally goes from
prototype mode to instance mode.

So far, I've been able to solve all the problems using that approach.
The *earliest* point that user-code may execute is [Inititalize]
annotation, and I take care of setting up the composite state and all
fragment instance pools etc before that.

But also, since C# has concept of "property" within language itself, I
do not have "Property" interface - properties that are left abstract
(their getter and setter both lack implementation in any fragment type)
are the ones that the runtime will figure out to be manageable by the
runtime itself, and which are part of the composite state.
Their property type (return type of getter and parameter type of setter)
is the type which I think in Java is 'T' of 'Property<T>' interface.
This difference in programming language might have simplified and solved
some issues that you guys are currently facing in Java.

Re: More ServiceActivation

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Re: More ServiceActivation

Posted by Stanislav Muhametsin <st...@zest.mail.kapsi.fi>.