Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Jacob von Eyben <je...@nordija.com> on 2007/05/25 16:22:23 UTC

Tapestry 4.1 and jdk version issue

Hi,

I am having trouble executing a test for a component I made for tapestry
4.1.
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/apache/tapestry/markup/MarkupFilter (Unsupported major.minor version
49.0)

It seems to me that tapestry 4.1 has been compiled using java 5 and I am
trying to compile and execute my test using java 1.4.
Is it correct that tapestry 4.1 isn't java 1.4 compatible anymore?

To further strengthen my theory I stumbled across the following code
which uses autoboxing, hence can only be compiled by java 5.

org.apache.tapestry.dojo.form.Autocompleter

from line 268:
    /**
     * {@inheritDoc}
     */
    public boolean isAsync()
    {
        return Boolean.TRUE;
    }

If I have to compile using tapestry 4.1, is it correct that my only
solution is to go with java 5 and no longer support java 1.4 runtimes?

Regards
Jacob von Eyben
http://ancientprogramming.blogspot.com

Re: Tapestry 4.1 and jdk version issue - JIRA issue created

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.
Glad you got it working.
I actually hit the same problem but with a different stack trace and it
was only when Jesse pointed me to the correct ognl repo that i got it
working to.

Posted by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com>.
Damn the whole time I had the wrong repository, thats the problem with
using maven sometimes, you think you have the up to date software and
all along I was using a stale repository.  Thanks for the help and
sorry for all the noise about this.

On 6/4/07, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You're using an old ognl snapshot.
> Add this to your pom:
> <repository>
>            <id>ognl.snapshots</id>
>
> <url>http://opencomponentry.com/repository/m2-snapshot-repo</url>
>        </repository>
>
> You should get the ognl-2.7-20070603.222724-5. snapshot with that.
>
> Chris Chiappone wrote:
> > tapestry-framework-4.1.2-20070604.004743-105.jar
> > ognl-2.7.20070425.021856-29.jar
> >

> > On 6/4/07, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Are you sure you have the latest ognl snapshot ?
> >> Can you please reply with the exact snapshots that you are using for
> >> both tapestry and ognl ?

> >> 5 and
> >> anymore?

> >> my only

~chris

Re: Tapestry 4.1 and jdk version issue - JIRA issue created

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com>.
tapestry-framework-4.1.2-20070604.004743-105.jar
ognl-2.7.20070425.021856-29.jar

On 6/4/07, Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you sure you have the latest ognl snapshot ?
> Can you please reply with the exact snapshots that you are using for
> both tapestry and ognl ?
>
> Chris Chiappone wrote:
> > I updated this issue since I am still having problems:
> >
> > https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-1520
> >

> > On 5/26/07, Jacob von Eyben <je...@nordija.com> wrote:
> >> I have created a JIRA issue:
> >> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-1520

> >> code

> >> runtimes?

~chris

Re: Tapestry 4.1 and jdk version issue - JIRA issue created

Posted by Hugo Palma <hu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com>.
I updated this issue since I am still having problems:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-1520

On 5/26/07, Jacob von Eyben <je...@nordija.com> wrote:
> I have created a JIRA issue:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TAPESTRY-1520
>
> Jesse Kuhnert wrote:
> > Yes please do.
> >
> > On 5/25/07, Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've had issues with Java 1.4 and the latest 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT being
> >> incompatible with java 1.4 also.  Should we add a JIRA?

> >> tapestry
> >> version

> >> I am

> >> --
> >> ~chris

~chris

Re: Tapestry 4.1 and jdk version issue - JIRA issue created

Posted by Jacob von Eyben <je...@nordija.com>.
I have created a JIRA issue:

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.
Yes please do.

On 5/25/07, Chris Chiappone <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've had issues with Java 1.4 and the latest 4.1.2-SNAPSHOT being
> incompatible with java 1.4 also.  Should we add a JIRA?
>
> On 5/25/07, Jacob von Eyben <je...@nordija.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am having trouble executing a test for a component I made for tapestry
> > 4.1.
> > java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
> > org/apache/tapestry/markup/MarkupFilter (Unsupported major.minor version
> > 49.0)
> >
> > It seems to me that tapestry 4.1 has been compiled using java 5 and I am
> > trying to compile and execute my test using java 1.4.
> > Is it correct that tapestry 4.1 isn't java 1.4 compatible anymore?
> >
> > To further strengthen my theory I stumbled across the following code
> > which uses autoboxing, hence can only be compiled by java 5.
> >
> > org.apache.tapestry.dojo.form.Autocompleter
> >
> > from line 268:
> >     /**
> >      * {@inheritDoc}
> >      */
> >     public boolean isAsync()
> >     {
> >         return Boolean.TRUE;
> >     }
> >
> > If I have to compile using tapestry 4.1, is it correct that my only
> > solution is to go with java 5 and no longer support java 1.4 runtimes?
> >
> > Regards
> > Jacob von Eyben
> > http://ancientprogramming.blogspot.com

> ~chris