Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by David Schulberg <Da...@str.com.au> on 2008/06/04 02:07:07 UTC

Running script with a file save action

Hi,

I am dealing with the recording of a performance script where an action
is to save a table of data as an XLS file.

When I save the table there is a request recorded corresponding to this
request '/myweb/saveTable.do' but the actually saving of the table
doesn't take place because I believe the script can't respond to the
dialog that pops up inviting the user to save the XLS file. So when I
playback my script I am thinking that if we aren't really writing the
XLS file to disk then we aren't really measuring the performance hit
being experienced by a user.

I would appreciate some clarification of this issue.

Regards,

David Schulberg

Test Manager

Re: Running script with a file save action

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 04/06/2008, David Schulberg <Da...@str.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>

>  I am dealing with the recording of a performance script where an action
>  is to save a table of data as an XLS file.
>
>  When I save the table there is a request recorded corresponding to this
>  request '/myweb/saveTable.do' but the actually saving of the table
>  doesn't take place because I believe the script can't respond to the
>  dialog that pops up inviting the user to save the XLS file. So when I
>  playback my script I am thinking that if we aren't really writing the
>  XLS file to disk then we aren't really measuring the performance hit
>  being experienced by a user.
>

>  I would appreciate some clarification of this issue.

JMeter is primarily intended to test servers.

So long as you recorded the file download, then the appropriate
request will have been recorded, and the server will send the file to
JMeter. As far as the server is concerned, that's the end of it. It
cannot tell if the data was saved to a disk or the bit-bucket.

You can add a Save Response Post-Processor to save the file.
If you add a parent Transaction Controller to the
Sampler+Post-Processor then the TC will measure the overall time.