Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu> on 2004/06/05 19:11:33 UTC

[site] Thoughts on breadcrumbs

Site looks good.

I was considering the idea that we should go through each project and
make sure the navigation.xml files contain proper bread crumb links in
the grey breadcrumb bar.

See Math for example:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/math/

This is something that can be a global entity include just like the
other navigation sections.

<project name="Math">

   <title>Math</title>
   <organizationLogo href="/images/jakarta-logo-blue.gif">
    Jakarta
   </organizationLogo>

     <links>
       <item name="Jakarta"
             href="http://jakarta.apache.org"/>
       <item name="Jakarta Commons"
             href="http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/"/>
     </links>

the following could be in a file global-links.ent that gets included
into menus.dtd

<links>
   <item name="Jakarta"
      href="http://jakarta.apache.org"/>
   <item name="Jakarta Commons"
      href="http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/"/>
</links>

included into the dtd as

<!ENTITY global-links SYSTEM "global-links.ent">
<!ENTITY common-menus "&top-menus;&bottom-menus;&global-links;">

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer

Re: [site] Thoughts on breadcrumbs

Posted by "Mark R. Diggory" <md...@latte.harvard.edu>.
I now think your right. I went and looked at several large maven sites,
I have to say, no one really uses this as a bread crumb trail. Its
mostly just used to provide links to related projects. For instance:
Maven, Jelly, Plugins etc...

-Mark

Posted by Dirk Verbeeck <di...@pandora.be>.