Posted to infrastructure-dev@apache.org by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/18 22:24:56 UTC

Atlasssian Stash at the ASF?

I recently opened this JIRA to consider having the ASF have a Stash
instance:

I think it would be a huge boon for projects that are interested in using
Git at the ASF (on top of that, we get pull requests and JIRA integration).
I have already reached out to Atlassian and there more than glad to give
the ASF an open source license to Stash... and even better... help out in
getting it running!

What would the best way to see this happen or help with this effort?

--
Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk
http://aniszczyk.org
+1 512 961 6719

Re: Atlasssian Stash at the ASF?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

https://issues.apache.org/

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 20/06/2013 16:23, Tony Stevenson wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2013, at 16:22, Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yes, the majority of projects use JIRA, I can't name one that doesn't:
>
> httpd

OpenOffice, Tomcat, SpamAssassin, and others.

Yeah. Just a few of the minor players really.

Looking at bug counts Jira has around twice as many as the Bugzilla
instances combined.

Jira also requires several orders of magnitude more effort to maintain
than Bugzilla. As one of the people doing that maintenance, I'm not
personally convinced that the extra features you get with Jira are worth
the hassle that comes with them. However, some projects like the
features so we (infra) put up with the hassle.

Mark

Re: Atlasssian Stash at the ASF?

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.

Posted by janI <ja...@apache.org>.
On 20 June 2013 17:22, Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, the majority of projects use JIRA, I can't name one that doesn't:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#all

AOO

rgds
jan I

Posted by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.
On 20 Jun 2013, at 16:15, Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The reason I initially suggested Stash is because of the integration with
> JIRA which is the defacto bug tracker at the ASF.

Is it?  I'm not sure I'd support that statement entirely.

> Going with GitHub
> Enterprise is great, but you'd have another bug tracker + wiki system that
> comes along with it (could be a good thing).
>

> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 8:04 AM, David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>
>> wrote:
>>> There seems to be some confusion about my note, so let me clarify.
>> Github Enteprise is product offering very similar to the Attlasian Stash.
>> You will get the product and you will install it on your hardware. It's not
>> service in the cloud or something like that, so master copy of the code
>> would be on ASF hardware, exactly the same way as Attlasian Stash is
>> working.
>>>
>>> My point here is that if we are considering to install Stash to have
>> github-like functionality, we might also install (on our hardware) the
>> github software itself.
>>>

>> IMO - the value of github isn't the software. Yes it's nice and
>> pretty, but the real value is in the community hub that it's become. I
>> routinely discover new projects on github, and that central hub makes
>> it easy for me to contribute back small patches - but pull requests
>> and forks aren't magic inherently, we really can do all of that with
>> git already (albeit without the pretty gui).
>>
>> --David
>>

> --
> Cheers,
>
> Chris Aniszczyk
> http://aniszczyk.org
> +1 512 961 6719

Cheers,
Tony

----------------------------------
Tony Stevenson

tony@pc-tony.com
pctony@apache.org

http://www.pc-tony.com

GPG - 1024D/51047D66
----------------------------------

Re: Atlasssian Stash at the ASF?

Posted by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com>.
The reason I initially suggested Stash is because of the integration with
JIRA which is the defacto bug tracker at the ASF. Going with GitHub

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Joe Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.
On Thu, Jun 20, 2013, at 09:50 AM, Jarek Jarcec Cecho wrote:
> There seems to be some confusion about my note, so let me clarify. Github
> Enteprise is product offering very similar to the Attlasian Stash. You
> will get the product and you will install it on your hardware. It's not
> service in the cloud or something like that, so master copy of the code
> would be on ASF hardware, exactly the same way as Attlasian Stash is
> working.
>
> My point here is that if we are considering to install Stash to have
> github-like functionality, we might also install (on our hardware) the
> github software itself.

*If* we're exploring github like alternatives, I feel compelled to note
that there are non-proprietary varieties available, like
http://gitorious.org/. While I imagine AGPLv3 isn't a first choice
'round these parts, I think it'd be preferable to yet another
proprietary piece. I believe it also has the benefit of not being
written in Java, which Tony didn't seem to keen on adding more of.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier
jzb@zonker.net

Re: Atlasssian Stash at the ASF?

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.
There seems to be some confusion about my note, so let me clarify. Github Enteprise is product offering very similar to the Attlasian Stash. You will get the product and you will install it on your hardware. It's not service in the cloud or something like that, so master copy of the code would be on ASF hardware, exactly the same way as Attlasian Stash is working.

My point here is that if we are considering to install Stash to have github-like functionality, we might also install (on our hardware) the github software itself.

Jarcec

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.

Posted by Ulrich Stärk <ul...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jarek Jarcec Cecho <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 18/06/2013 21:53, Jeremy Thomerson wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com> wrote:
>
>>> The internal git solution is kind of bare bones and not widely adopted
>> yet.
>>
>> Actually it is very popular indeed. A lot more than you might recognise.
>> It also has integration with GitHub. So that hardly strikes me as bare
>> bones.
>

> I'll add another reason not to use Stash: if we had it, then there are two
> ways to submit pull requests.  It seems better to have one.  And Github is
> probably the better of the two considering many developers who are
> submitting pull requests may already have a GH account and not want to
> create a Stash account or manage their pull requests on YAVCS (yet another
> version control site).

And another:

As the git service grows the intention is to move it from its current
FreeBSD jail to eris & harmonia (alongside the svn service).

Stash is not supported on FreeBSD and having tried to run Jira on the
unsupported FreeBSD OS I have no wish to repeat that experience with
another Atlassian product.

Mark

Re: Atlasssian Stash at the ASF?

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@thomersonfamily.com>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <to...@pc-tony.com>.

Cheers,
Tony

Sent from my iPhone - Please excuse any brevity or typos.

On 18 Jun 2013, at 21:40, Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The internal git solution is kind of bare bones and not widely adopted yet.

Actually it is very popular indeed. A lot more than you might recognise. It also has integration with GitHub. So that hardly strikes me as bare bones.

> It seems the fact that we already deploy a lot of Atlassian products it
> makes sense to use Stash, given that Atlassian is interested in help us
> make this happen. It doesn't hurt to enable it for a few projects and see
> how it acts.

We use 2 of there vast array of products. That doesn't constitute a lot in my book.

Why would we deploy yet another tool or product and risk diversifying our platform too much? The stash product does have some benefits but it also has drawbacks which right now far outweigh the positives.

So as I said its a case of "thanks but no thanks"

Posted by Chris Aniszczyk <ca...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tony Stevenson <pc...@apache.org>.
Chris,

--