Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Stanton Sievers <si...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/26 16:51:37 UTC

Removing trailing whitespace in all existing Shindig files

Hi everyone,

As a followup to the CheckStyle commits I recently made, I wanted to fix
some of the most common style problems.  One that I'm sure everyone is
familiar with is trailing whitespace in files.  There are ~1600 offenses in
the existing code base for *.java files alone according to my most recent
Jenkins build.

I wanted to drive this number down so that we can focus on "real" problems
that CheckStyle is finding.  So, I wrote a script to kill the whitespace.
http://pastebin.com/Qf0FAyfa  It might not be the most efficient thing in
the world but it works for this purpose.

Running this script over all of shindig-project touched 500 files and
generated a ~750kb patch file that is >800,000 lines long.  My question to
all of you is whether or not this is something worth putting on the
reviews.apache.org site or if I should just commit it.

Thoughts?

-Stanton

Re: Removing trailing whitespace in all existing Shindig files

Posted by Stanton Sievers <ss...@us.ibm.com>.
Done.  Created SHINDIG-1714 for generic checkstyle fixes and committed my
changes.  I've also kicked off a build on my Jenkins server to check the
numbers.

Sorry everyone that your next update might take a bit longer than normal.
:)

Btw, Paul, can we get the Checkstyle plugin enabled for the Jenkins builds
on builds.apache.org?

Thanks,
-Stanton

From:   Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>
To:     dev@shindig.apache.org,
Date:   02/26/2012 16:05
Subject:        Re: Removing trailing whitespace in all existing Shindig
files

agreed, please go ahead and commit it.

I'd also just create a Jira for generic checkstyle fixes.  No need to
attach patches, that's what we have source control for.  Just reference
the
jira and move forward.

--
Paul Lindner -- lindner@inuus.com -- profiles.google.com/pmlindner

Re: Removing trailing whitespace in all existing Shindig files

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.