Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Kenneth Litwak <kl...@apu.edu> on 2005/07/21 18:24:36 UTC

Max thread/session timeouts

  We're running an application on Tomcat that often hits the limit of
150 threads.  Can someone with experience changing this value give me
advice on it?  How big can you make this number?  How much extra memory
do I need if I say change it to, say, 500?  Thanks.

Ken

Re: Max thread/session timeouts

Posted by "Darryl L. Miles" <da...@netbauds.net>.
Kenneth Litwak wrote:

>  We're running an application on Tomcat that often hits the limit of
>150 threads.  Can someone with experience changing this value give me
>advice on it?  How big can you make this number?  How much extra memory
>do I need if I say change it to, say, 500?  Thanks.

I take it you know the 150 is the default limt in the config/server.xml
and this can be upped towards you operating system platform maximum.

A ball park of your applications memory needs @150 threads is better
chcked by simply looking at the paged in size while under that load (the
RSS size in "ps uaxw" under Unix).  You can't expect us to guess exactly
how much more memory you need from the information you've given, I mean
you've not told us if you already have 8Gb of RAM installed or just 32Mb
for us to at least take a guess at the answer.

Maybe the Java VM -Xss is a useful option to look at, but I think
providing you are not hitting your upper limit on a single process
memory usage (into the 3/4Gb realm on 32bit) for a high number of
threads then it will make little difference.  As I believe stack space
just like other application memory is paged in as its used and reducing
the stack space to a lower limit than your application need will just
make it crash.

--
Darryl L. Miles

Re: Max thread/session timeouts

Posted by Larry Meadors <la...@gmail.com>.
Whoa! Someone forgot to take their meds today...

To unsubscribe, e-mail:

Larry

Posted by Warren Taylor <ww...@sunbeltbusinessbrokersofms.com>.
Take me off this fucking list.

[...]