Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2002/08/25 16:18:46 UTC

EOB

Stephen McConnell wrote:

>>> I can easily make plain components work in Phoenix, but as you have
>>> seen with Merlin, viceversa is not painless.
>>> Can Merlin use EOB?
>>

>> I dunno, I suggestd to Stephen that he tried it a couple of week ago :-)
>

> EOB includes BlockContext which means that additional meta-info is
> required for these components to run inside Merlin.  The solution to
> this involves the following:
>
>  * add .xtype descriptors to the EOB distribution (these contain the
> information describing the depedencies that the EOB blocks have -
> including the dependency on the Phoenix BlockContext interface and
> Phoneix conterxt keys)
>  * use the patched version of cornerstone that I'm maintaining (the
> patched version also includes the .xtype declarations in order to
> solve the same issues and provide convinient deployment profiles for
> some of the conterstone components)

One point I forgot to mention is that EOB does not publish the
components it provides under its manifest

If you include a .xtype (i.e. additional info to handle context
information) then you could declare this as follows:

   Name: net/sourceforge/eob/core/DefaultApplicationRepository
   Avalon: Type

If your using blockinfo declarations Merlin will recognize the Phoenix
pattern (but this will only work if you component does not reference
Phoniex APIs).

   Name: net/sourceforge/eob/core/DefaultApplicationRepository
   Avalon-Block: true

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell