Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org> on 2020/04/13 01:42:44 UTC

Releases and distribution

Hi,
I see votes Struts Master 14 and Struts Annotations 1.0.7 that are not mentioned in the board report or in the normal release area [1], but they seem to have been published via maven and I just wondering why that is the case.
Thanks,
Justin

1. https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/struts/

Re: Releases and distribution

Posted by Justin Mclean <jm...@apache.org>.
Hi,

> I'd argue there is nothing wrong with what we and AFAICS numerous other
> ASF projects do here.

That's a little concerning. I'd just like to point out ASF policy says otherwise [1]. It will probably end up being discussed with Infra as they own that policy, once that's been done, I get back to you with what if anything else needs to happen.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://infra.apache.org/release-distribution.html#public-distribution

Re: Releases and distribution

Posted by Rene Gielen <rg...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Am 13.04.20 um 08:23 schrieb Justin Mclean:
> Hi,
>
>> Both artifacts however are technical upstream artifacts for framework
>> releases and it does not make any sense for them to be used outside of
>> this context, say by end users upgrading their stack.
>
> Well ASF policy states anything released needs to be put in the offical release area, so you may need permission form the board to do it like this? No need to rush to change anything right now. I can get back to you after this is discussed at (or before) the next board meeting.

I'd argue there is nothing wrong with what we and AFAICS numerous other
ASF projects do here. These are official releases of artifatcs that have
a slightly different lifecycle than the framework releases relevant to
end users, which is why they were separated. End users will consume
theses artifacts as transitive dependencies when upgrading to the next
framework release, but it does not make sense to download them or use or
upgrade them directly in end user software projects.

So these are official releases that do not qualify for, say, issueing a
press release :)

But if the board thinks this needs adjustment we will be happy to apply
the then requested changes.

>> Does it make sense to list them in the report regardless?
>
> The PMC voted on them so I'd say it makes sense to list then, but then you might get asked why they are not in the release area.:-)

Actually we have done this in the past, and as I stated, I have simply
overseen it :) But this also raised the question above...

>> Should I adjust the already submitted report?
>
> If you want to sure, but there's no need as I’ve added a comment to the report.

Given that there is enough time left before the board meeting starts,
I'll adjust it then.

Thanks,
René

> Thanks,