Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au> on 2009/08/24 03:48:55 UTC

Build requires JDK 1.6 now - EmbeddedJSP plugin

Hi guys,

I may have missed the announcement, but it seems Java 1.6 is now
mandatory to perform a full build of Struts 2.1.8+

The EmbeddedJSP plugin's JSPLoader uses javax.tools.JavaCompiler that
is "Since 1.6" only.

If not deliberate, we may need a j5 profile in the build that excludes
that module (is that even possible?)

regards,
  Jeromy Evans

Re: Build requires JDK 1.6 now - EmbeddedJSP plugin

Posted by Jeromy Evans <je...@blueskyminds.com.au>.
On 25/08/2009, at 2:59 AM, Musachy Barroso wrote:

> Everything should be included in the default build. We can add a
> profile to exclude the plugin from building, just like we did with
> assembly.
>
> musachy

Just trying to summarize:
  - the default build should include everything (requires JDK 1.6 at
build time);
  - if the JDK is only 1.5, the build should fail and (if possible)
instruct the developer to build using the j5 profile
  - the j5 profile will exclude the EmbeddedJSP module

I don't actually know how to do that though.

Re: Build requires JDK 1.6 now - EmbeddedJSP plugin

Posted by Musachy Barroso <mu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Chris Pratt <th...@gmail.com>.
I think the only effect to those 100's of products is that they can't use
the EmbeddedJSP plugin, which needs a feature that is only supplied with
Java 6+.  Am I missing something other implication?
  (*Chris*)

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Kent R. Spillner" <sl...@zerosphere.org>.
Howdy-

> I'll go see if google can tell me about the lifespan of
> Java 5.

About 10 weeks.  :)

Posted by Wes Wannemacher <we...@wantii.com>.