Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> on 2014/02/07 03:09:20 UTC

ASF patent / legal help

Does Apache offer legal help due to patent infringement claims on ASF software?

I have been made aware of a patent infringement suit where I believe
the infringement claims are entirely due to use of an ASF project (as
opposed to the project just being used in a way that infringes on a
patent).

If the ASF does offer help in these circumstances, I assume
legal-private is the right contact to give them?

-Yonik

Re: ASF patent / legal help

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 6:09 PM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Does Apache offer legal help due to patent infringement claims on ASF software?
>
> I imagine the answer is "it depends, but probably not", moreover any
> more detail would likely not be discussed in public on this list.

I'll risk a bit more detail: if someone lost (not settled) a patent
infringement lawsuit over something that was clearly Apache software,
then Apache would likely alter that software to not infringe, as it
would not want to distribute software to users that's been legally
proven to infringe.  Short of that, I would be surprised if Apache
were to get involved in lawsuits that it is not party to.

Doug

Re: ASF patent / legal help

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Re: ASF patent / legal help

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Such a suit has the potential of invoking the nuclear option in the ASL. This would have teeth only if the plaintiff needs to use apache licensed software, which wouldn't necessarily be true of a patent troll although it would apply to almost any practicing entity.

Does anyone have a link to public documents on this suit?