Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com> on 2018/08/15 14:19:19 UTC

upgrade guava on trunk before 9/1?

Hey all,

Does anyone feel strongly about upgrading guava on trunk before the 9/1
feature freeze for 4.0? We are currently at 23.3 (thanks to
CASSANDRA-13997), and the current is 26.0.

I took a quick look, and there's about 17 compilation errors. They fall
into two categories, both of which appear not too difficult to resolve (I
didn't look too closely, tbh).

If anyone wants to tackle this LHF I can rustle up some review time.

Thanks,

-Jason

Re: upgrade guava on trunk before 9/1?

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to Andy for suggestions on working around the issues, I now have
build and UTs passing with Guava 26, and driver 3.6.0.
Not sure if we can accommodate this in 4.0 since this is yet to be reviewed
and includes quite a few changes.
Updated https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-14655 with the
Github branch and CircleCI details.

Thanks,
Sumanth

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <sp...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Andy Tolbert <an...@datastax.com>.
Hi Sumanth,

Posted by Sumanth Pasupuleti <su...@gmail.com>.

https://github.com/sumanth-pasupuleti/cassandra/tree/guava_26_trunk
Failing Unit Tests: https://circleci.com/gh/sumanth-pasupuleti/cassandra/84

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.

Posted by "dinesh.joshi@yahoo.com.INVALID" <di...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Jason,

    On Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 11:42:31 PM PDT, Dinesh A. Joshi <di...@gatech.edu> wrote:

 Jason,
Given that we're so close to the 9/1 date, I would err on the side of caution especially given the low value prop. If someone does run into Guava compatibility issues (and someone somewhere will), we can revisit this question then.
Dinesh

    On Wednesday, August 15, 2018, 8:22:28 AM PDT, Salih Gedik <me...@salih.xyz> wrote:

 Hi,

Change logs are on Github releases page. It seems like only hash flooding protection which is added to ImmutableMap is relevant to Cassandra code. I haven’t checked whether we use deprecated APIs. But there isn’t much on table from what I see.

Posted by Salih Gedik <me...@salih.xyz>.
Hi,

Posted by Ariel Weisberg <ar...@weisberg.ws>.
Hi,