Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Ning Kang <ni...@google.com> on 2020/06/16 18:20:19 UTC

[Question] What are the supported and recommended JDK and Python versions

Hi!

Recently, I've seen questions around using incompatible JDK versions and
Python versions with Beam on Stackoverflow. For example, this question
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/57017337/what-is-the-latest-version-of-jdk-used-by-apache-beam>
about JDK and this question
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62387489/gcp-dataflow-template-creation-issue-through-python-sdk/>
about using Python 3.8.

As we move Beam version forward, is there a public document continuously
updated that tells the user of below information, like:

Beam version

JDK version range

Python version range

WIP

2.22.0

8

2, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7

BEAM-2530 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-2530>

So that when they set up or maintain their project, they have a clear idea
of what works, what will work and what will not work in the future?

Thanks!

Ning.

Re: [Question] What are the supported and recommended JDK and Python versions

Posted by Ahmet Altay <al...@google.com>.
I do not think we have this information very explicitly on our website. It
is a good idea to add a table like this to the docs.

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.
The Java and Python SDK versions, on the other hand, change much more
slowly. So I'm not sure a full table is really necessary. Probably a list
of changes will suffice.

Posted by Robert Burke <ro...@frantil.com>.
+1 to such a table.

Posted by Kyle Weaver <kc...@google.com>.