Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Edmund Wong <ed...@belfordhk.com> on 2009/03/19 06:41:44 UTC

post-commit hooks

Hi,

Pardon my ignorance, but with regards to the post-commit
hook, say if I want to have an e-mail sent out with a
diff or patch of what was committed, I use the commit-email.pl
script, right?

The error I'm getting is :-

/repos/hooks/commit-email.pl: use of either '-h' or '--from' is
   mandatory when sending email using direct SMTP.

my post-commit script :

REPOS="$1"
REV="$2"

/repos/hooks/commit-email.pl "$REPOS" "$REV" -h mysys --from \
                            committer@thisdomain.com

Am I missing something important?

Thanks!

Edmund

Re: post-commit hooks

Posted by Edmund Wong <ed...@belfordhk.com>.
Edmund Wong wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Pardon my ignorance, but with regards to the post-commit
> hook, say if I want to have an e-mail sent out with a
> diff or patch of what was committed, I use the commit-email.pl
> script, right?
>
> The error I'm getting is :-

Self answer:

Basically, the following works:

1) Rename post-commit.tmpl to post-commit
2) chmod 777 post-commit
3) put commit-email.pl into /repos/hooks
4) edit commit-email.pl
      a) set $smtp_server
      b) in sub new_project, set
             email_addresses
             hostname
             reply_to
             subject_prefix

I think that's it.

Edmund

Re: post-commit hooks

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Mar 19, 2009, at 01:41, Edmund Wong wrote:

> Pardon my ignorance, but with regards to the post-commit
> hook, say if I want to have an e-mail sent out with a
> diff or patch of what was committed, I use the commit-email.pl
> script, right?
>
> The error I'm getting is :-
>
> /repos/hooks/commit-email.pl: use of either '-h' or '--from' is
>    mandatory when sending email using direct SMTP.
>
> my post-commit script :
>
> REPOS="$1"
> REV="$2"
>
> /repos/hooks/commit-email.pl "$REPOS" "$REV" -h mysys --from \
>                             committer@thisdomain.com
>
> Am I missing something important?

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but I wanted to
point out that commit-email.pl is deprecated and it's recommended to
use mailer.py instead now.