Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Huw Roberts <hu...@irisfinancialsolutions.com> on 2005/12/30 21:40:25 UTC

[M2] How can I include a JAR in my test (build and run) classpath

Hi All, [note newby]
1.  I've been given a third-party jar which forms part of the acceptance
tests that need to be run for my deliverable.  This jar needs to be
available for compilation and run of my tests.  I don't think the jar
really belongs in my repository because it's not really a deliverable,
although I may receive different versions of it that I may need to
incorporate.

2.  I'm also struggling with the relationship between the repository
into-which I will (ultimately) place my built artifacts, and my
source-code control system (SVN) into-which I am currently checking my
source code.  Should maven take care of this for me, or should I carry
on as I am.
My SVN repository looks like this:

+- branches
+- tags
+- trunk
   +- pom.xml
   +- src
   |  +- main
   |  |  +...
   |  +- test
   |  |  +...
   +- target
      +...

3.  This is a little unsatisfactory since the target lives inside the
checkout area (hence risk of checking it in).
Any thoughts?
Help.

Thanks,
Huw
--
Huw Roberts

Re: [M2] How can I include a JAR in my test (build and run) classpath

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
On 12/30/05, Huw Roberts <hu...@irisfinancialsolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi All, [note newby]
> 1.  I've been given a third-party jar which forms part of the acceptance
> tests that need to be run for my deliverable.  This jar needs to be
> available for compilation and run of my tests.  I don't think the jar
> really belongs in my repository because it's not really a deliverable,
> although I may receive different versions of it that I may need to
> incorporate.

I still think it's part of your repository. I will definitely put it
in my local corporate repository.

> 2.  I'm also struggling with the relationship between the repository
> into-which I will (ultimately) place my built artifacts, and my
> source-code control system (SVN) into-which I am currently checking my
> source code.  Should maven take care of this for me, or should I carry
> on as I am.
> My SVN repository looks like this:
>
> +- branches
> +- tags
> +- trunk
>    +- pom.xml
>    +- src
>    |  +- main
>    |  |  +...
>    |  +- test
>    |  |  +...
>    +- target
>       +...

Maven can handle SVN for you throught the SCM plugin and release
plugin. I don't use the SCM plugin I rather use Eclipse support but
that's a personal choice. I don't have any problem with this approach.
You just check in the src directory plus the pom.xml file and everyone
using maven 2 will be able to build your project.

> 3.  This is a little unsatisfactory since the target lives inside the
> checkout area (hence risk of checking it in).
> Any thoughts?
> Help.

Look at my previous answer.

> Thanks,