Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Rayees Namathponnan <ra...@citrix.com> on 2013/06/14 17:54:08 UTC

Automation analysis improvement

Many of the automation test cases are not tearing down the  account properly; due to this resources are not getting released and followed test cases getting failed during VM deployment itself.

During automation run accounts are created with random number without any reference for test case (eg : test-N5QD8N), and it's hard to identify which test case not tearing down the account after complete the test.

Here my suggestion; we should create account name with test case name  (eg : test- VPCOffering-N5QD8N)

Any thoughts ?

Regards,
Rayees

Re: Automation analysis improvement

Posted by Prasanna Santhanam <ts...@apache.org>.
Indeed - expunge, storage, account cleanups are set to 60s on all
automated test environments I've setup.

The cleanup process works as below:

setUpClass() -> creates user account, creates user resources
testXxx() -> test steps and verify within the account
tearDownClass() -> cleanup resources acquired in setUpClass()

The way this is done is to collect a list of resource objects in
setUpClass#_cleanup (like [account, vm, offering]). In tearDownClass
we simply process that list calling delete on each item. Usually, just
the account is enough since the account GC thread will take care of
the rest.

Rayees - if you've identified these tests then please submit a patch
if they flout the process I've explained above. I've fixed some
before, but there's probably more.

Prasanna.,

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 11:08:42AM -0700, Ahmad Emneina wrote:
> I'm +1 on this. I feel global setting (relating to expunge and
> cleanup) should be set to aggressively expunge deleted resources,
> then delete the user resources... before deleting the account. That
> way we can verify garbage collection of resources is working
> properly.
>
> Ahmad
>
> On Jun 14, 2013, at 10:21 AM, Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > On 6/14/13 8:54 AM, "Rayees Namathponnan" <ra...@citrix.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Many of the automation test cases are not tearing down the  account
> >> properly; due to this resources are not getting released and followed
> >> test cases getting failed during VM deployment itself.
> >>
> >> During automation run accounts are created with random number without any
> >> reference for test case (eg : test-N5QD8N), and it's hard to identify
> >> which test case not tearing down the account after complete the test.
> >>
> >> Here my suggestion; we should create account name with test case name
> >> (eg : test- VPCOffering-N5QD8N)
> >>
> >> Any thoughts ?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Rayees